UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2019, 3:13 pm   #1
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Default Gearbox springs for AR88

As I continue my restoration, I thought the gearbox was OK after rebuilding it.
However the last gear that drives the tuning capacitor is showing signs of not meshing adequately.

Has anyone sourced replacement springs, if so would like to find some new ones with the correct or near compression to be on safe side.

Cheers
Andy G3UEQ
Old 28th Apr 2019, 8:22 pm   #2
JanWra1
Tetrode

Default Re: Gearbox springs for AR88

Hi Andy

I don't know where to buy the springs but one suggestion is that you check Ebay for complete gearboxes and then when you get one take the best parts of both your old and the "new" one. I did that with very good result - In my case a few balls in the ballbearings were missing.

Good Luck

73 de Jan/SM5MRQ
Old 8th May 2019, 9:46 pm   #3
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Jan
Apologies for delay in replying, I sent reply by received email and was informed that doesnt work.

I just dont feel like taking the risk, at the moment the ones online are pretty rough looking and mine was in generally good condition. A friend has informed me he has a large selection of similar springs so when get chance will try some.
Regarding bearings, a company local to me was able to supply 50 both sizes and the grease for £2.00 !
Andy G3UEQ
Old 9th May 2019, 6:10 pm   #4
JanWra1
Tetrode

Hi Andy

I'm glad to hear you found the parts at a very reasonable price

Jan
Closed Thread