UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2017, 3:37 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default TDA etc chips

Hi all, my mind was wandering (as it does) and I started thinking about the Philips? range of chips that I am sure we have all met over the years in various jobs or hobbies. Starting with TAA, then TBA, TCA, TDA, then TEA (I don't ever remember seeing a TFA). Were these just numbered consecutively as they were designed and produced or were they purposefully grouped per task, for example, TBA for TV signal processing?
Alan.
Old 5th Sep 2017, 3:59 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: TDA etc chips

I don't know about Philips but an old Siemens data book suggests that the first letter T = Analog, the second letter means not a lot unless it's an H in which case it signifies hybrid, third letter indicates a temperature range, A = no temperature range specified, B = 0 to +70C, C = -55 to + 125C etc, letters used for that are A through to F:

https://archive.org/stream/SiemensAn...e/n11/mode/2up

Lawrence.
Old 5th Sep 2017, 4:03 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
TBA for TV signal processing?
Alan.

I don't think so. TBA810 and TBA820 were audio amps, as was the TAA820
Old 6th Sep 2017, 3:28 am   #4
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
the second letter means not a lot unless it's an H in which case it signifies hybrid.
I think this is correct. For example the Philips PM5519 TV pattern generator used a TCA820 balanced modulator IC in its RF modulator. It was later replaced by the TDA0820T, they are basically the same part/circuit inside, in a different package.
Closed Thread