UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2015, 3:38 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Mullard Si modules - what transistors?

We all know that the early Mullard modules used AF11x series transistors, but has anybody dismantled one of the later Si ones used in the Roberts R606 and 606MB amongst others to find out what's inside? I have a nasty feeling that the answer will be B194/5 Lockfits. This info doesn't seem to be in any of the Mullard documentation.

I don't have an obviously faulty module at present but am a bit concerned about what the future holds, given the increasingly common Lockfit problems.
Old 24th Oct 2015, 4:52 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard Si modules - what transistors?

My R606 [S/N 30178 if that's relevant] seems to be running just fine - if/when I need to open it and investigate what's in the Mullard modules I'll report back.

In the days when I was rebuilding VHF mobile-radio gear the "generic" Si NPN RF/IF/oscillator/frequency-multiplier transistor I used for anything up to 200MHz was the BF115. I have a trayfull of them here 'just in case'.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 24th Oct 2015 at 5:09 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2015, 5:07 pm   #3
paulsherwin

As I said, I don't have an immediate problem to address, but want the info for future reference.
Old 24th Oct 2015, 5:51 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

I went inside the FM module of an R707 once. Inside was TO92 silicon - can't remember which types, but I think more details might be somewhere on this forum.
Old 24th Oct 2015, 6:00 pm   #5

Because the noted failure mode of the Lockfit transistors is leaking moisture down the leads how about a spray of conformal coating (posh varnish) onto the existing transistors, that may stop the rot, or even a silicone aerosol. Point into a hole and squirt. I have a can of Halfords silicone lubricant that I spray on any connector that becomes accessible when playing with my motorcycle. Seems to stop corrosion.

Old 24th Oct 2015, 7:11 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
I went inside the FM module of an R707 once. Inside was TO92 silicon - can't remember which types, but I think more details might be somewhere on this forum.
I've not needed to pop the module-cans of my R707 - yet; its one lockfit-failure has been in the audio preamp/tone-control area.

If I do ever need to undertake future delveage into its Mullard Modules I'll note what's inside, and correlate this with any serial-numbers for the future guidance of others.
Closed Thread