UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2015, 3:01 am   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default 9011402-E Transistor

Hi.

I'm struggling to find any information on this transistor, can someone tell me if there is an equivalent and what the number is and is there a UK
stockist?

I have no home computer, and can only work on my mobile so I'm a bit stuck to say the least.

Thank you, Paul.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 11:54 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: 9011402-E Transistor

It looks like an in-house number. What is it out of, and what does it do?
Old 18th Oct 2015, 12:51 pm   #3
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi bill,

Thank you for the reply, it's in the linear motor circuit i think of that rechid green mettoy 1978 music master stereo battery operated record player, it's got four of them of that number and one other one of a different number, plus the two audio ic's and two zener diodes.

Thats all of the semiconductors on the intire circuit board, the speed is all over the place it keeps slowing and then it's ok for a while, i know the motor is set right beacuse it's been fine for weeks i've used it every night, and i recapped it four years ago or more, so i'm thinking it can only be an intermitent transistor what would you suggest? (hope this hasen't gone off topic) just a bit annoyed with all the hard work i've put into it.
paul.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 1:29 pm   #4
paulsherwin

If there are 4 of them then it's highly likely that they are general purpose Si NPN types. If you remove one you should be able to work out the connections.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 2:23 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Ah the Mettoy direct drive thingie.

If you want to know the provenance:

http://zstereo.co.uk/2013/11/07/strathearn-sma2/

David
Old 18th Oct 2015, 4:31 pm   #6
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi.

Thank you Paul, thanks Dave, dare I ask do you have any idea wich general purpose NPN transistor might be suitable for this type of application? I can always try one at a time whilst there's still life in it, and then check to see if it's any better or any worse as I go along.

Paul.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 6:15 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

A quick look at the supply voltage will give a clue to what voltage rating of device is a good bet. Mettoy means battery powered, i suppose.

2N3904 is a cheap as chips and has many makers, does 40v 300mA 300mW.
2N3906 is the PNP complement. There are other popular GP devices, but these are common all round the world.

One thing to watch out for was that Ferranti which became Zetex and now is part of Diodes inc. makes a number of small transistors with surprising current power and gain ratings. THey can be hard to find alternatives for.

David
Old 18th Oct 2015, 8:05 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I suggest you try whatever you have to hand in the BC108/BC548 class. I don't think these will be high current devices but if you suspect this you could try an output transistor like a BC327.

The classic 2N2222 would also be worth a punt if you have any in stock.

Any scrap equipment from the 70s will be full of general purpose transistors of some type. Early VCRs contain 30 or 40 of them.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 8:18 pm   #9
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi,

Thank you dave, i shall have a go will order some bits tomorrow, theres nothing to loose really as when it's in this mood it isen't playable anyway at least i have a torch now in the gloom.

paul.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 9:04 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

Could you borrow another, non-faulty transistor off the board just long enough to test it for polarity and gain? Then try substituting with BC547 (if NPN; BC557 if PNP) if it has a gain over 100, or BC327 (if NPN; BC337 if PNP) if less -- or if the BC5x7 just overheats.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 10:05 pm   #11
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi
thanks again paul, thanks julie yes i could try that, i had a bag of BC108 and a lot of other transistors but haven't been able to find them for some time it's a puzzle where they all went.

Yes i've just discovered the 2N2222 along with some BC serries so i will give it a go.
Thank you,

paul.
Old 18th Oct 2015, 11:36 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

If you need the PNP complement to 2N2222, it's 2N2907.

David
Old 19th Oct 2015, 11:37 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

I haven't seen this mentioned, so just for reference: 9011 is a common medium and low frequency Hong-Kong type and 402 may be just a date code. Equivalents for the 9011 include BC547 and BF254, except for possibly different pinout.
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 8:48 pm   #14
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi,

thank you for that maarten, do you know that's really strange somewhere in the far distant past, that seems familiar regarding that transistor code it's as if i've heard that quoted before. Yes the BC237 seems to work quite happily, thank you also for the equivalent numbers.

Thank you radio wrangler for the information you have posted, that has helped i will get a few more of these general purpose transistors there always handy.

Thanks again to paul, i can conclude that in the end no replacement transistors were required, but thanks to this forum i've learnt a lot more about it.

paul.
Closed Thread