UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2021, 2:39 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye black box no sound

If in doubt, pin 1 for the EL42 is the one that's connected to the chassis, pins 3 and 7 are the cathode.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 22nd Feb 2021 at 2:57 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 2:42 pm   #22
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minster97 View Post
Readings for the two capacitors are 275V and 236V
Output transformer all three readings are 275V
I am fairly sure that the valve holder for ECC83 is ruined.
The readings for Ecc83 are pin 1 zero,pin 3 69V,pin 6 zero or very slightly minus,pin 8 zero
I could see the wider gap between the pins so think I got the numbering right.
Now the EL42’s,There was a wire going across the opening to a pin at about the four or five o’clock position,I have assumed this is pin 8
Readings for both valves are the same.pin 2 16V,pin 3 0.2 V , pin 5 zero pin 6 15.7V
I am very lost now.I suppose I have got to start by replacing the valve holder?? but not sure what is the correct one.Thank you
There's something very wrong there.

The outer tags of the output transformer's secondary winding are wired directly to pins 2 (anodes) and 5 (screen grids) of the EL42's. You should be measuring around 275VDC on these sockets of the EL42 valve holders even if the valve holders are dodgy.

You need to check your pin numbering and measurements. The "pip" on the EL42 valve and valve holder is between pins 1 and 8. Pins number clockwise when viewed from below the chassis.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 4:43 pm   #23
snowman_al
Octode

A picture might help?
As stated count 'clockwise' from pin 1.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pin no.s .jpg
Views:	84
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	227356  
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 4:55 pm   #24
Minster97
Pentode

It looks like what I thought was pin 8 is pin one.Thanks for the help.will check readings again
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:30 pm   #25
Minster97
Pentode

Both EL42’s valves the same.
Pin 2. 277V. Anode
Pin 3 15V. Cathode
Pin 5. 278V. Screen Grid.
Pin 6 .01V Control Grid.

ECC83.
Pin 1. 196V. Anode (2)
Pin 2 Cathode (2)
Pin 3 zero V. Grid (2)
Pin 6. 67V. Anode (1)
Pin 7
Pin 8. zero V Cathode (1)

On ECC83 could only count 8 pins!
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:40 pm   #26
Station X

EL42's looking good.

ECC83 has 9 pins. Check again and redo your measurements on it after making sure it's lit up.

Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:55 pm   #27
snowman_al
Octode

My error on the ECC83 pin 1. (The others are correct) It is actually pin 6. I was doing it from photos, I do not have one to look at...

You might only see 8 pins as 2 heater pins (pins 4 and 5) are soldered together.
Have a careful look again and see if you can find two pins soldered together.

Also make sure the cap lead, in the the centre of your picture, is not touching the nut and bolt.

Alan

Edit, Yes my error. Look someone (Half A Mullard) has been here before... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&postcount=56

Apologies, Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Pins.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	227360   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye-black-box-amp-003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	227361  

Last edited by snowman_al; 22nd Feb 2021 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Correction edit.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 6:28 pm   #28
Minster97
Pentode

I will do ecc 83 again tomorrow. It is NOT lit up anymore now. When I looked at the pins from the top they were a bit mangled. After I tried to repair it’s worse. The light always went out and you had to waggle the valve around. There may be two pins soldered together. If I can’t get it to light up shall I just try and get a new holder from somewhere? I did try another valve and no joy so I assume it must be the contacts. I have cleaned very well.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 7:02 pm   #29
Station X

Check valve holder sockets 4, 5 and 9 (which serve the heaters) carefully, preferably with a magnifier. If they're not damaged try nipping them up so they make better contact with the valve pins.

Old 22nd Feb 2021, 8:25 pm   #30
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minster97 View Post
I will do ecc 83 again tomorrow. It is NOT lit up anymore now. When I looked at the pins from the top they were a bit mangled. After I tried to repair it’s worse. The light always went out and you had to waggle the valve around. There may be two pins soldered together. If I can’t get it to light up shall I just try and get a new holder from somewhere? I did try another valve and no joy so I assume it must be the contacts. I have cleaned very well.
Just to be absolutely clear about the pins of the ECC83 : looking from below and counting clockwise from the gap, pin 1 is anode, pin 2 is grid, pin 3 is cathode, pin 4 is heater, pin 5 is heater, pin 6 is anode, pin 7 is grid, pin 8 is cathode and pin 9 is heater centre-tap. Usually in power amplifiers the valves are all run from 6.3V and in the the ECC83 this means connecting pins 4 & 5 together and connecting the 6.3v between that junction and pin 9. According to the printed instructions for the ECC83, EL42 version of the Black Box one of the cathodes of the ECC83 should be at about 25V.
When you say the ECC83 is not lit what do you mean? Quite a lot of the small 9-pin valves flash when the power is first switched on because the cathode sleeve doesn't quite cover the heater wires and the sudden inrush of current makes the wires white hot for a moment but they soon settle down to a dull red.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 8:38 pm   #31
Minster97
Pentode

Thank you all.Ecc 83 remained cold and no sign of any glow.The valve seems loose in the socket and if you moved it you could get it to light with a lot of crackliing noises.One of the pins in one of the sockets was very loose possibly broken.
Before I tried to improve the pin contacts you could just about get the valve to stay on ie warm and a definite constant glow
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 8:48 pm   #32
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This will just not do. It will never settle in a fractured state like this. Suggest you buy a B9A (ceramic) valveholder and carefully re-wire. This one valve provides 2 key functions as AF amplifier and Phase Splitter and you can't afford any kind of poor contacts in these stages. I would recommend a B9A ceramic valveholder with skirt and screening can for optimum performance.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 9:32 pm   #33
Minster97
Pentode

I certainly will try to salvage the holder and tryi nipping.I do have very fine instruments to try this.replacing the holder I dare say will be challenging for the likes of me!
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 9:33 pm   #34
Sideband
Dekatron

You will have to replace the valveholder. You can't repair the pins once they are broken. Don't leave the amp on whilst in this state. B9A valveholders are readily available from a number of sources. You need a good one, either nylon or ceramic type and as suggested with a skirt and screening can. I had to do this a few years ago (plus the B8A ones as well)! It's an hour or so work for one valveholder but well worth the effort. Plenty of good clear photos or a clear hand drawing of the connections and you'll find it's easier than it looks.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 9:34 pm   #35
Minster97
Pentode

Edward just seen your post and will buy one anyway
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 10:15 am   #36
Sideband
Dekatron

The forks on the valveholder pins break. No amount of twisting, bending, nipping or any other 'wangle' will do and if by some remote chance you do have some success, it won't last and will just emphasise the need to replace the holder.

You'll probably need to drill the old holder out (if it's riveted). Just replace the new one with suitable sized nuts and bolts. I would suggest you unsolder all the connections first taking lots of photos beforehand so you can see where everything goes. It really isn't as bad as it seems but it can be fiddly at times. At least you don't have a customer breathing down your neck wondering when his amplifier is going to be fixed....! Take your time and make sure you get everything right referring to your photos.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:30 pm   #37
Minster97
Pentode

Ordered a good one from langrex.just taken out screws and nuts( not riveted��) and making detailed drawings of where everything goes.Thank you again
Old 25th Feb 2021, 4:03 pm   #38
Minster97
Pentode

Fittted the new holder,valve lights up and no crackling noises.problem is no sound other than hum from pick up or buzz testing anywhere.
ECC83 readings are:-

1) 135V Anode 2
2) 16V Grid 2
3) 63V Cathode 2

4 and 5 both zero

6) 52V Anode 1
7) 1V Grid 1
8) 1 or 2V Cathode 1

9) zero
I was very confused that there is pin 10 the tag of which is at right angles to the others.I have not connected this to anything.Could this be the cause? Thank you
Old 25th Feb 2021, 4:21 pm   #39
Minster97
Pentode

Should have said no sound other than hum.Nothing from pick up at all
Old 25th Feb 2021, 4:38 pm   #40
Station X

Anode voltages are low. Check R5 and R9 the anode resistors along with R13.

Closed Thread