UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2021, 12:53 am   #21
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Vintage Dimplex Wall hanging bathroom radiator

I remain satisfied that a switch rated at 5 amps, 6 amps, or any other higher figure would be suitable for a heater with a load current of just over 3 amps.
A pull cord switch would be prudent in a bathroom, and is probably a statutory requirement.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 3:05 am   #22
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Crabtree do a 16 amp double pole pull switch with neon . So do MK but with the MK you have to buy the base separately. At leat with the neon you can see if it’s on and if it’s used as a isolator it should be double pole anyway.
It’s not easy to see but make sure that metal back box is earthed on the flex outlet box . Andy
Old 12th Jan 2021, 10:24 am   #23
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzwedz View Post
Hi

HNY

I have this Dimplex radiator in my bathroom, still going strong BUT the cable has now snapped, any ideas? It was put in early 1980s I think so is one of the more modern ones (I think they started in the 60's)

At the top of the string there is a plastic bit which goes into the pull switch, this has snapped off just outside the switch but is very short (and I suspect brittle).
Hi,
I moved mine (same vintage) from the bathroom to the garden shed some years ago but the switch still seems to work. Don't know how much longer the plastic bit will last.

I have taken the switch off and could either send you that - or just the plastic bit that the cord attaches to. The switch, properly packed, would cost £3.85/£3.20 first/second class parcel or just thinly protected by letter post £1.29/96p - your choice. The plastic bit by itself would be ok by letter post.

If you want either then send me a PM with your street address and I can give you my paypal details.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:45 am   #24
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
It’s not easy to see but make sure that metal back box is earthed on the flex outlet box
As far as I can see it's not earthed and it's just held in place by the plaster with no fixing screws. You nearly always find this sort of thing once you start delving in an old installation. Being 750 watts, it's fed from the house lighting circuit - you can see the 1 mil twin & earth feeding it. If you had any thoughts of fitting a pull cord switch to that box, not only would it stress the switch as it would be on its side, but the extra force would soon pull the whole lot out of the wall with bits of plaster everywhere, possibly with a flash and a bang and a house plunged into darkness as the whole lot shorted out.

The best thing to do would be to accept the kind offer of the replacement switch part for the actual heater and put everything back together as it was. You could add an earth to that metal box, but it would only be dangerous if there was a live fault to the box and you reached up and touched the screw heads of the cover plate. You may also receive shocks off the damp wall under this unlikely, but possible condition. I actually experienced this once in an old house many years ago when a female friend received tingling shocks off the walls as she was cleaning them with a wet, soapy cloth.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:36 pm   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Just thinking about what I said regarding the heater being fed from the lighting circuit - although this was common, I think in this case that it may not be as I remember you showing the isolator in a cupboard with other switches etc. so it's probably off the ring main and just fed with a lighting grade cable from that switch, but nothing to worry about as it's protected by the fuse in said switch unit.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 2:57 pm   #26
tedzwedz
Triode

Quote:
I've opened it up fully and got it hanging on a handy hook below.

Could I insert a wall switch here on the left where the power cable comes in off the wall similar to the one at the other end in the water cupboard (shown)?

Best Edward
Hi

Is there any reason I cant insert this switch into the wall box that is there already? Seen in Pic. Cheers

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-50a-1-...ch-white/12094
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210111_115305_resized.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	224523   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210111_115320_resized.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	224524  
Old 13th Jan 2021, 2:58 pm   #27
tedzwedz
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Just thinking about what I said regarding the heater being fed from the lighting circuit - although this was common, I think in this case that it may not be as I remember you showing the isolator in a cupboard with other switches etc. so it's probably off the ring main and just fed with a lighting grade cable from that switch, but nothing to worry about as it's protected by the fuse in said switch unit.
Cheers, the other switches in the cupboard are for the towel rail and for the Immersion heater
Old 13th Jan 2021, 3:01 pm   #28
tedzwedz
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
Quote:
Hi

HNY

I have this Dimplex radiator in my bathroom, still going strong BUT the cable has now snapped, any ideas? It was put in early 1980s I think so is one of the more modern ones (I think they started in the 60's)

At the top of the string there is a plastic bit which goes into the pull switch, this has snapped off just outside the switch but is very short (and I suspect brittle).
Hi,
I moved mine (same vintage) from the bathroom to the garden shed some years ago but the switch still seems to work. Don't know how much longer the plastic bit will last.

I have taken the switch off and could either send you that - or just the plastic bit that the cord attaches to. The switch, properly packed, would cost £3.85/£3.20 first/second class parcel or just thinly protected by letter post £1.29/96p - your choice. The plastic bit by itself would be ok by letter post.

If you want either then send me a PM with your street address and I can give you my paypal details.
Thanks George, PM sent!
Closed Thread