UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2022, 6:26 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Idea for posting B9a valves

Good afternoon,
I just received a B9a valve I bought on EBay. As it was a used valve it didn’t have a valve box. Instead the seller pocked it into the centre of about 3” of grey “expanded foam” 15mm pipe insulation, the type you can buy from Screwfix ECT. for very little. This is ideal as a posting material as it is light and would keep the valve significantly safer in postage than just its cardboard box in a Jiffy bag.

You could in theory have a long(ish) section of pipe insulation and have several valves “top to tail” inside in a postal tube!!
Christopher Capener
Old 6th Apr 2022, 6:39 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Idea for posting B9a valves

I like your thinking here.

In times-past I have used offcuts of 2-1/2-inch plastic drainpipe as the outer 'shell', with bubblewrap wound round the Octal valves concealed withim.

The same approach, though using a length of 4-inch waste-pipe, worked just fine to ship a QQV06/40A and a couple of glass-envelope 6L6.
Old 6th Apr 2022, 7:10 pm   #3
Bobdger
Hexode

If you only order 1 or 2 25 packs of chips Rapid send them out in pipe insulation taped at the ends and a few turns round the middle. So far they have arrived safe and well. Bob
Old 9th Apr 2022, 1:20 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I received a pair of B7G valves in these pink purpose-made protective cages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b7g cage.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	255028  
Closed Thread