UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2014, 6:11 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default 5MHz "Transatlantic tests".

Just a reminder for those of you who are QRV on 5MHz: the Winter Solstice provides an enduring dark-path so is the perfect time to stay up late and work some Statesiders on the band.

Remember that they have 'spot' frequencies that don't mesh with our bandslots so split-frequency working is obligatory. [Split-frequency working on a Clansman PRC320 is not fun!]
Old 21st Dec 2014, 2:13 am   #2
Dave757
Heptode

Default Re: 5MHz "Transatlantic tests".

Hi

What about 5403.5 and 5371.5 ?

I understand that the USA channels 5405 and 5373 are centre
frequencies rather than carrier frequencies, and that the FCC
recommendation to US amateurs is that they tune 1.5kHz low of
the centre frequencies to centre the audio on the channels.

I've certainly heard UK/USA QSO's on both these frequencies,
so are they OK?

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ
Old 21st Dec 2014, 3:59 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

The only thing I have that does 5MHz band Transmit is my Racal Syncal30. Split frequency would be horrid.
My FT817ND can in theory do 5MHz TX (but mine is unmodified later European model so can't without HW modification). I do have an add on 20W approx PA for it though. I suppose I could TX on the Syncal30 and RX on the FT817ND with some sort of change-over relay on the aerial.
Old 27th Dec 2014, 4:14 pm   #4
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

There have been some good signals from the U.S. on 5403.5 CW the last couple of evenings. It's also worth looking at the online US based SDR's to see if you are making the trip.
I've also had a couple of QSO'S with ZL, one both ways on 5MHz, one this year cross band 5MHz to 7MHz.
It's a great band, but getting very noisy here

73 Tim M0AFJ/G8GGP
Old 27th Dec 2014, 6:31 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My most-recent 5MHz operation has been a relaxed 3-way natter lasting a couple of hours between the UK, Belgium and Iceland on SSB. It was "relaxed" enough that I could drop out for 30 minutes to enjoy some roast Pork and rejoin the QSO with a rather well-filled glass of single-malt.

Are you actually making it to ZL with voice-quality speech? If so I'm impressed!
Old 27th Dec 2014, 6:43 pm   #6
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Hi, no this was on CW not SSB.

I was running my K3 to a 80M OCFD, nothing special.
Closed Thread