UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2019, 10:26 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Aiwa AD F640 valuation

Hi,

I have a Aiwa AD F640 three head cassette deck which has had new belts fitted, however it has a fault with sound reproduction, which is a little bit out of my league to fix.

It's in good condition with some scratches to the paint on top. The rest is in good condition.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to value it with the given information. Once valuated I'll put an ad in the offered section if anyone is interested.

I've seen one online asking £214, but I think this might be a little bit optimistic, I'm not sure.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	640_Front.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	181441   Click image for larger version

Name:	640_Top.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	181442  
Old 17th Apr 2019, 9:53 am   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Aiwa AD F640 valuation

I would say very optimistic tbh, particularly in view of it having a fault. I used to have the ADF-770 and can see they do make £150+ in good working condition. Any electronic fault should be fixable because although these were complex decks (well the 770 sure was) they used standard components. Mechanical issues are another matter and these mechs did suffer from a few issues as the miles piled on such as worn reel motors and (in my case) worn capstan shafts which were available as a spares item 25 years back. If mine were a car it would probably have been at the 300 to 400k mileage... they were supurb machines really.

As with anything, its a case of it only being worth what someone will actually pay.

Good luck.
Old 17th Apr 2019, 12:56 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

Tatty non-worker: £25 max. They need to be mint and on top form to make decent money.
Old 17th Apr 2019, 1:27 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The market for high quality cassette decks is quite small. There is a bit of a fad for cassettes at the moment among the young and trendy, but those buyers aren't really interested in sound quality. I agree that £25 is plausible, and it may struggle to find a buyer even at that price.
Old 17th Apr 2019, 3:39 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I’ll put an offered ad for £25 to see if any one is interested in it. I can hold onto it and perhaps fix it should I find out what’s causing the issue. (Was told it is on the power rails, but i’m not sure what exactly it is)

Thanks for your help
Closed Thread