UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2019, 8:32 pm   #1
Barraman
Tetrode

Default Cleaning aluminium

I've got a Cushcraft multi-band vertical which I'd like to dismantle and clean up.

It's aluminium in several sections, plus traps. The outside of each section is

easy enough to rub down, but the insides are not so simple, especially the

smaller diameters. Each section overlaps about 3'' and it was suggested to

stand the sections in a rhubarb solution (oxalic acid?). But there must be a

better way? Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

Richard
Old 25th Mar 2019, 9:38 pm   #2

Default Re: Cleaning aluminium

No need to clean all the way through the overlap, this is for strength, a quick rub with emery paper at the very end for electrical contact will do. And do smear Vaseline on the joint too.

Old 26th Mar 2019, 7:20 am   #3
Barraman
Tetrode

Default Re: Cleaning aluminium

Yes, you're right, 3'' is a bit much. But I would like a good inch of clean metal

on each section to ensure a good electrical contact. The small diameter sections

at the top of the aerial are fiddly to clean, and I just wondered if the rhubarb

trick would work? I'll have plenty of it come the summer!
Closed Thread