UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2019, 9:08 pm   #1
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Default Topaz yellow (faded), or yellowed ivory?

Hi there again,

Wondered if anyone might be able to help me identify the colour of this phone?

I've been trying to collect the set of GPO 706 modern telephones and had all of them except the yellow one. Aware that it isn't that common and probably wouldn't look the original colour, I got hold of an inexpensive what I thought was ivory one and was going to replace the yellowed ivory parts with reproduction yellow ones.

But now I'm concerned that what I have may actually be a genuine yellow phone!

This photo shows my ?yellow? and my ivory phone together:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...370&fit=bounds

The phone on the left is a Phoenix Telephones phone 706L/2A from 1964.
The phone on the right is just marked 706/2A also made by Phoenix in 1966, but possibly refurbished in 69 by the Record electrical company.

As the one on the right had been fitted with a clear plastic fingerplate and silver figured backplate yet still had the original lettered surround, the dial looked ridiculous. Looked like a few careless workers had been in it (concorde blue carry handle, no dial dust cover, dirty etc), so I fitted a reproduction fingerplate, carry handle, and backplate. This suggests that the casing of this ivory phone is not far off its original colour.

The phone on the left (the one I am trying to identify) is yellow(ed) inside and outside. The parts of the grommet that have been protected from the light are more yellow than those that have been exposed. The fingerplate is a lighter yellow than the casing. The paint on the reverse of the dial surround is more yellow than the paint visible through the clear plastic dial surround, but the visible paint is slightly darker than that visible on the original dial surround on the ivory phone. The plastic inside the handset and in the transmitter screwthreads is yellow. The original line cord, where recently cut, is also yellowish (about the same colour as the fingerplate).

The plastic sticker under the casing seems to be old, all parts seem to be original with '64 stamps on transmitter and receiver, the dial was sticky in action and the phone was sold to me unconverted. The seller cut the cord to save on postage, but it was previously choccy-blocked to a BT cord. After a good clean and a dial stripdown, it now seems to be a good example of an unmodified original phone.

It is clear that the left phone has yellowed to an extent, as it is a slightly lighter yellow e.g. under the handset than where exposed

I'm wondering what people think of this theory:

THEORY

1. The phone left the factory Topaz yellow and has become a darker yellow.
2. It has been exposed to light and the lettered surround has faded quite a lot, while the cords have become a bit less yellow and a bit more grey.
3. The fingerplate is more-or-less the original colour.

Or is it a very yellowed ivory phone after all?

Can anyone throw some experience on the matter?
Old 7th Sep 2019, 9:32 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Topaz yellow (faded), or yellowed ivory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo Grillo View Post
The phone on the left (the one I am trying to identify) is yellow(ed) inside and outside.
The yellowed ivory phones I've refurbished have all been ivory on the inside so I would say that your 'yellowed' phone is indeed a topaz yellow example. Looks that way in the photo too.

Alan
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:15 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

I have a 746F which is pale yellow inside and out, I'll take photos and put it on 'Offers'

It's good here
Old 8th Sep 2019, 8:56 pm   #4
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Hi ajgriff,

Thank you. Sounds like I struck it lucky then!

Julesomega,

Could be interesting to see, ta. Please let me know when do get around to it and I'll take a peek.

Riccardo
Old 9th Sep 2019, 3:38 pm   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

Riccardo - for your eyes only
Just tried it, working fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	746F.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	189798  

It's good here
Old 10th Sep 2019, 11:23 am   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
The phone on the left (the one I am trying to identify) is yellow(ed) inside and outside.
The yellowed ivory phones I've refurbished have all been ivory on the inside so I would say that your 'yellowed' phone is indeed a topaz yellow example. Looks that way in the photo too.

Alan
I would also say that it is an original 'Topaz Yellow' one. I have a 'never been used' Topaz yellow one Tele 706 and it is the same colour as yours. It is in fact a Tele 706CB which I swapped for another phone. Sadly the Royal Mail managed to damage the box and shatter the 'Dial Dummy No 6' . It was the only colour that I hadn't got a new spare one. I've ended up eventually getting a larger yellow 'Dial Dummy No 7'. The Dial Dummy No 6 was only produced for a short period until the 'D.D. No 7' came along - the No 7 also fits the Tele 711/741 whereas the D.D.No 6 is too small. From memory only about 3% of 700 type telephones were 'Topaz yellow'. Then the Blue ones are a little bit more common. The figures were in a publication some years ago - 'Post Office Telecommunications' magazine I think.
Old 10th Sep 2019, 10:36 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:

Alan
A 'Mustard Yellow' one for sale on eBay at the moment. But look at the third photo (one with handset off) and look at the difference in colour. Looks 99% to be a discoloured ivory one - see eBay item number: 283610580039
Closed Thread