UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2011, 9:58 am   #1
brunel
Heptode

Default 2 x 1000 watts tube amplifier

http://www.elektor.com/news/it-s-ali..._campaign=news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btSg2...layer_embedded

Last edited by brunel; 11th Mar 2011 at 10:03 am.
Old 11th Mar 2011, 10:37 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 2 x 1000 watts tube amplifier

Hi,
This amp was mentioned on here a while ago. Very impressive! Although I'm puzzled by the "2 x 1000" tag as this is a mono PA amp with a push-pull o/p. Isn't it?
Just imagine TWO of them sitting in the lounge either side of your stereo set up. I'm sure the street lights would dim on the loud bits
Cheers, Pete
Old 11th Mar 2011, 5:47 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Talking Re: 2 x 1000 watts tube amplifier

Yup - you'd notice the dimmed street lights for sure when you responded to the hammering on the front door to discover your neighbours standing there & looking very angry!

Al.
Old 11th Mar 2011, 5:50 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: 2 x 1000 watts tube amplifier

What are the output valves?

David
Old 11th Mar 2011, 5:53 pm   #5

These! http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...amplifier.html

Old 11th Mar 2011, 5:53 pm   #6
yestertech
Nonode

What ?
No Bowden cables or valves at funny angles ?

Andy
Old 11th Mar 2011, 6:09 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thanks for the valve info,some beasties to say the least.

David
Old 11th Mar 2011, 6:25 pm   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Very impressive, built like WD equipment and I like all the luminescence, sounds good too - as far as I can tell through a 2 watt computer speaker!

Peter
Old 11th Mar 2011, 11:31 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

These various threads on mega-power audio amplifiers remind me of the article by George Izzard O'Veering published in Wireless World many years ago... although it describes a transistor amplifier, it should hopefully raise a chuckle from those who haven't seen it before.

http://sound.westhost.com/dynamic-range.htm

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Mar 2011, 1:16 am   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The bit about the power necessary strikes a chord (no pun intended) the output of the average valve radio is probably in the range of 1 - 3 watts and yet they could still be uncomfortably loud in the average room.

Peter
Old 12th Mar 2011, 8:15 am   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

There's an interesting psycho-acoustic point here. At a given (acoustic) power level distorted sound seems louder than undistorted sound. Acoustic power depends on the efficiency of the speaker and will typically be a small fraction of the amplifier power. On a very small scale I have processed a couple of bits of music to use as ring tones. I used Audacity to deliberately push the sound into clipping. Sounded horrible on the computer speakers but gave better audibility on a tiny mobile phone where fidelity is not important.

On the subject of vintage radios sounding loud on a few watts there's another relevant point. In many cases the speaker efficiency will be a lot higher in a vintage radio than in hifi speakers so you get more for your electrical watts.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 10:37 am   #12
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I can readily accept that the Philips valve amplifier delivers a kilowatt, on a continuous RMS basis. However, 20 or 30kW in a car is stretching credulity, requiring not only the dissipation of something approaching 40kW of heat within the vehicle, but requiring (by my arithmetic) over 3,000 amps at 12 volts...

One has to assume that such high power ratings are derived from the sum of the amplifier manufacturers' quoted outputs, not measured RMS output on a continuous basis.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Mar 2011, 3:50 pm   #13
audiomik
Retired Dormant Member

have found a link to the EL6471 Service manual here:
http://83.117.57.34/nvhr/Philips_EL6471.pdf

Interesting circuitry, with only 2 valves in the output stage!
Mik
Old 12th Mar 2011, 5:13 pm   #14
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Phil G4SPZ echoed my thoughts exactly
Old 12th Mar 2011, 10:00 pm   #15
dennishoy
Retired Dormant Member

'You could toast your bread with the heat they kick out'. Says it all really.... the power is in the valve losses and not in audio power. The design is very inefficient and unsuitable for the average home.

The problem with HiFi is that there are plenty of idiots with more money than electronics knowledge and common sense. Who honestly believes that a 13Amp mains plug with gold-plated pins gives a better sound? Likewise, speaker cable with oxygen-free copper conductors. The HiFi magazines are partly to blame here, often providing a good performance write-up on something that clearly will make no difference. The companies must be paying the magazines to hype-up the so-called 'product'.
A fool and his money are easily parted - never been more true in the world of HiFi.
Old 13th Mar 2011, 12:48 pm   #16
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 2 x 1000 watts tube amplifier

Hi,
I've just been having a look at the schematic PDF to see if I had enough bits in my junk box to build one (I've got two EL34s and a couple of fuse holders, that's it ), and I've noticed that the cathodes of the EL34s appear to be strapped to their heaters thus shorting the two cathodes together. Got to be a slip of the draughtsman's pen surely? I thought it might have been something to do with heater cathode insulation, but the two heaters are fed from the same source (same reference letters).
Cheers, Pete
Old 13th Mar 2011, 5:50 pm   #17
audiomik
Retired Dormant Member

Tractorfan
seems that they corrected this Heater Cathode linking to the same heater Supply in the revised Circuit on page 26 of the pdf....

Anyway, also managed to find a datasheet for the QB3.5-750 Output Valves:
http://www.abex.co.uk/sales/highvolt.../qb3.5-750.pdf

And a bit more searching on the same site turned up this:
http://www.abex.co.uk/sales/highvoltage/other/182/
A "Royal Navy Type 182 Final Amplifier and Power Unit"
Quote: "With modification, these amplifiers could form the basis of a high power RF amplifier for frequencies up to 75MHz, or beyond.
For the High Voltage & High Energy experimenter, these units contain many useful parts. See photographs and descriptions of the components used in these units.
Once stripped, these components may be re-used for a wide variety of applications
"

A possible source of suitable parts perhaps?

Just to be clear I've no connection to Abex - merely found their website by chance whilst searching for the Valve data.
Mik
Closed Thread