UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2020, 11:10 am   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Headset HS30 repairs

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to open these headsets in order to replace the cable?

I have a pair of them where the rubber insulation on the cable is next to non existent but the rubber of the earpieces is OK.

Do the caps unscrew or are they glued together?

Thanks.
Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HS-30 Headset.png
Views:	102
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	205872  
Old 15th May 2020, 12:19 pm   #2
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Headset HS30 repairs

They look like some earpiece transducers I had in the 1970's. If so, they unscrew. Inside, they are like a miniature telephone receiver. There is a flat diaphragm which can be slid off after getting a knife under the edge, revealing the electromagnet magnet behind. Wiring was two screw terminals.

HTH
Old 15th May 2020, 6:37 pm   #3
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

I can confirm they just unscrew. I have a NOS set dated 1944 and the cap came off quite easy.
Old 16th May 2020, 8:13 am   #4
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a try.
Cheers, Alf
Old 17th May 2020, 7:40 am   #5
Alf Fisher
Hexode

It worked but I had to apply some heat from a hot air blower and the caps could be undone. There is a thin layer of something across the hole in the cap and I'm not sure if this is to stop particles getting onto the diaphragm or if it is the work of micro organisms. The cable was anchored into the back part of the earpiece with a clip around the cable that a little tab bent down to retain it in the cap.

Alf
Closed Thread