UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2012, 7:52 am   #1
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Sony TC 152 SD puzzle

I dont know if this is a known fault, and it probably applies to other cassette recorders than just this model. A recording made on side A can be heard on playback in reverse on side B, and is still there if a new recording is made on side B. The new side B recording is now audible in reverse on side A. I hear you shouting azimuth adjustment, but I have adjusted this with commercial pre recorded tapes for perfect playback and fault remains whatever I do. Anybody got any ideas before I start swapping heads. Is there a good method for azimuth adjustment in general with basic equipment?
Old 14th Sep 2012, 8:19 am   #2
paolo
Heptode

Default Re: Sony TC 152 SD puzzle

Are you talking about a faint playback of the reverse side? I think the term is crosstalk. Are you adjusting only the azimuth of the playback head or also of the erase head? Could it be that recordings aren't being fully erased across the track width? Either that or perhaps there is wear on the head that is causing it to be read at a less than optimal angle?

This link may help:

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03...on-a-cassette/

Paul
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:29 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Are the recordings made and played back on this same unit?
Old 14th Sep 2012, 8:51 pm   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

Hi Folks
The problem is there if recordings are made on a blank new tape on the same machine for record and playback. The machine has not had much use from new so is very unworn. If a recording is made on side a, the erase head will completely erase that, so the erase head must be aligned ok. The reverse side will still have that unwanted backwards recording. If a new recording is made on the reverse side, an nwanted backward recording appears at a low level on the original side. (I have not touched the erase head, but I do not have a 100 percent reliable method of adjusting the record/playback head). This fault has appeared suddenly, the machine was working fine to that point. It may be that I am a bit thick and not setting the head up right, but id all seems to defy logic
Old 14th Sep 2012, 9:03 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a photo off the web in about 3 mouse clicks
The problem is most likely due to an ordinary washer being fitted under the left fixing where a thin shim can be seen.
It is a mistake that is easy to make if you take too much it it to bits all at the same time.
It would lift the head enough to cause some crosstalk on the other side of the tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyhead.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	70653  
Old 15th Sep 2012, 4:10 pm   #6
saxmaniac
Heptode

That's interesting, mine hasnt been apart to that degree and hasnt got a stray part in the wrong place, but if the head were not level for any reason, I reckon crosstalk would happen regardless of adjustment. I think the problem I have is really that i aint very good at adjusting head height! I cant remember it ever being such a pain in the past though
Old 15th Sep 2012, 5:42 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

On the photo i have found there are two little "ears" on the left side of the head face.
With a magnifier make sure the tape has not warn a groove in the lower one and that in playback the tape is not curling at its lower edge.
Both of these will lead to crosstalk and must be eliminated.
The head bracket must be flat as it is in the photo and the shim between it and the standoff must be thinner than the bracket itself.
There is little point in attempting anything else until these checks are completed.
Closed Thread