UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2017, 8:08 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Swaps not allowed, why?

Hi All,
I hope I can get some answers please.
I did a short search but could not find an answer using my search text.
"Swaps are not allowed" which is well known and applies to sale and wanted threads, as stated clearly.
I have often wondered why this is and now feel brave enough to ask just why this is?
I appreciate that a swapping scenario could then defeat the "exact price required" rule when offered. Is this the actual reason?
However, here is MY scenario.
I am looking for a certain Pye WW2 radio for my shack.
I have a wonderful spectrum analyser that is now redundant.
I think these are comparable value and would love to swap this item so as to save any financial involvement either way and also reach a mutual satisfaction with another member.
So as not to break the rule, do I offer my analyser at a high start price and then gradually reduce in increments until sold so as to achieve the best price?
Then, IF it is sold, I then post a wanted for the WS item and HOPE I find it?
OR, post a wanted and if replied to, decide whether it can be funded by my future analyser sale?
Really a chicken and egg situation I think.
OR the third option may be to just offer my item on usual auction site and look for my wanted at the same site in the future?
I think this latter would just inflate the sale and wanted prices with no benefit at all to forum members. Besides, we would both also lose out on the actual commission paid!
Any reasons why it is strictly forbidden to swap or ideas for me to get the best outcome please?
Thanks, Rob
Old 9th Feb 2017, 8:17 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Swaps not allowed, why?

When we did allow swaps I don't think we had even one success. The probability of someone having what you want and wanting what you are offering is very slim. So you are considerably reducing your chances of success compared to selling to one person and buying from another.

What would also happen is that people interested in what you were offering (but not having what you want) would make cash or other offers. This goes against the "exact price" rule.

So because in practice swaps don't work and the threads can encourage other rules to be broken it was decided to prohibit them.

Before anyone asks, the reason for the exact price rule is because when we allowed offers we ended up with virtual auctions, with people being frustrated that their offer was accepted then later declined when the seller got a better offer. That caused too much bad feeling.

Trading is a peripheral activity here, and we want to keep it straightforward and stress free. For those who are mainly interested in trading there are more suitable sites such as eBay.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Feb 2017, 5:18 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I agree with Paul.
I did once manage to successfully do a swap with Plessey MK4 connectors where it was just the number of pins that counted if you get the joke.
We were both happy in that case.
The rest of the time it is just very difficult.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 9:46 am   #4
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Also what happens if you get the Pye radio but it's not in the expected condition? You'd like to return it, but no way is the other party willing to return that lovely shiny spectrum analyser and get their manky old radio back.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 11:18 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Let us keep what works Paul.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 11:26 am   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

OK Paul, the points you make are what I had mostly figured out. Thank you. However, without the peripheral activity of trading, it would be very difficult to obtain or dispose of items for the benefit of members. The fact it is allowed for non-commercial activity is appreciated I am sure by everyone on here.
I will have to think if I post a wanted and see what comes along or offer the sale item first.
Refugee, I know, I have had similar frustration!
OscarFoxtrot, Don't see that as a problem specific to swaps. It can happen on any single transaction when buying. Caveat emptor! You would look at each others pictures, description etc and make your own mind up.

For any sales/wanted to function correctly, you need to have mutual trust between forum members, which I do not recall EVER seeing a post about someone having this sort of problem when buying on here. Other sites, yes!
Indeed, recently there was a post along the lines of someone asking for repair assistance and the original seller joined in saying he was not aware of the problem when he disposed of it and apologising or something, or words to that effect. Sorry, can't be more specific. Such is the great level of assistance on here.
Rob
Old 10th Feb 2017, 1:55 pm   #7
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Just to add my 2p worth, I'm happy with the way the wanted and offered sections work here, there are other places to go if we want to complicate things.

T
Old 10th Feb 2017, 6:03 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Correct T! I wont say where.