UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2018, 11:04 am   #1
Krolroger
Pentode

Default Getting a Signal Generator

Hello All,

I want to get a signal or function generator to improve my almost non-existent diagnostic skills.

My main interest is vintage B&O amplifier/receivers. I'd like to be able to identify faulty/noisy components by following a signal through. I have a 20mHz oscilloscope.

A generator of some kind seems preferable to a signal injector/tracer in terms of functionality. Its main use would be in AF boards, but some useability in later IF stages would be a bonus, though that may not be possible within my budget (say up to £60).

I'd be very grateful for some pointers. For instance, are the Chinese units any good or should I go for vintage stuff?

Many thanks,
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:08 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Getting a Signal Generator

There are several Advance sig. gens. (vintage) which will be quite suitable for your needs. Something like a Model 62, 63 or an E2 spring to mind for RF usage. A degree of renovation may be required with these, but it is rare for those models to require anything drastic in that regard. (And if you do get problems, many members here will be able to help you.)
I have no experience of Chinese sig. gens.

Al.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:13 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Getting a Signal Generator

I have experience with the chinese ones. Run a mile. Advance ones are very nice. I know someone who has one and it’s bang in frequency.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:29 pm   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

You are 'hovering' on the border between AF and RF in terms of signal generators.

You could use a PC for AF signals in the audio range to test amplifiers but some dedicated AF signal generators can go up to 1 or 2MHz which also allows for IF tuning in receivers!

I 'knocked up' a small high quality single-tone (1kHz) generator with a calibrated output of 10mV, 50mV, 100mV etc that served well for decades! More recently I 'knocked up' a 455kHz sweep oscillator for IF alignment.

But if you're on a dedicated path towards servicing/repairing equipment then investing in the best you can afford will save money in the long run - "buy cheap, buy twice" being the warning.

Keep an eye open on the auction sites where bargains are still to be had.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:32 pm   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

There's a function gen for sale in the FS section. I got a bench DMM off Mr B, very happy.

Andy.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:53 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’ve actually got a Leader 17A RF signal generator for sale as well. Just haven’t dug it out yet.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 1:13 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I’ve actually got a Leader 17A RF signal generator for sale as well. Just haven’t dug it out yet.
Excellent sold state generators. 100 kHz - 150 MHz, (plus 96 MHz - 450 MHz on harmonics), with a claimed accuracy of +/- 1.5% and a nice large easy to read dial.

Also a 1 kHz sine wave, helpful for AF signal tracing etc nd used to modulate the generator.

That won't hang around long when you find it Mr B!
Old 17th Jun 2018, 1:33 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

I bought a Marconi TF2008 in not working condition and fixed it. That's one way to keep costs dowm.... the dial cord was off a pulley and jammed between pulley and chassis.

The RF side does 9kHz to 520 MHz and can do AM and wideband FM.
It does sweeps as well so it ticks the Wobbulator box for IF alignment of posh FM tuners
It includes a variable frequency wien bridge audio oscillator so it ticks your audio box.
Also it has a very good attenuator and good screening so it's OK for sensitivity tests.

So with a bit of luok and open eyes, lab grade ones turn up within your budget.

David
Old 17th Jun 2018, 2:13 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes I paid a whole £5 for my Marconi 2019A! Shame that blew up
Old 17th Jun 2018, 9:07 pm   #10
Krolroger
Pentode

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Currently considering my options, but a 2mHz FG looks to be a good choice.

Will certainly be back with some questions about how to use it.

Regards
Closed Thread