UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2013, 5:45 pm   #1
Humber888
Heptode

Default Q-Max Grid Dip Oscillator (GDO) Question

I've just refurbished my geriatric Q-Max GDO-2 grid dip oscillator with new carbon composition resistors and a new smoothing electrolytic and am very pleased with the way it is now performing. It is acceptably accurate when loosely coupled near a frequency counter and the meter deflection is now up to near full scale on the lower ranges. However, I had never used the headphone socket before and, having tried it now, all I can hear is a very faint hum. I don't have the manual for the GDO so wondered if anyone knows what type of 'phones it wants (low impedance, high impedance, etc.) and what I should expect to hear.

Many thanks.

Mike
Old 27th Oct 2013, 6:06 pm   #2

Default Re: Q-Max Grid Dip Oscillator (GDO) Question

A beat freqeuncy near an oscillator coil (oscillating of course). Or the radio if coupled to an aerial.

Old 27th Oct 2013, 6:19 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Lightbulb Re: Q-Max Grid Dip Oscillator (GDO) Question

Most GDOs can be re-configured to act as an absorption wavemeter. I think that you'll find that the purpose of the headphone socket it to hear the modulation on an amplitude-modulated signal when the GDO is being used in that mode.
So, if you have a sig. gen. handy that will do A.M. . . . . .

Al. / Oct. 27, '13
Old 28th Oct 2013, 12:27 pm   #4
Humber888
Heptode

Thanks to both respondents. The GDO will act as an absorption wavemeter if you switch off the HT. I checked it with a signal generator wound up to 10V p-p output and a loose coupling around the GDO's coil of unshielded wire connected to the inner BNC output pin. I realize that ideally I should make up a proper coupling coil for the sig gen, but this was good enough to get a small deflection on the GDO's meter. Also, you could hear the 1kHz modulation from the sig gen on headphones . More sensitive headphones would be better than the low impedance stereo pair I tried, but the results were good enougn to prove the point.

Thanks again.

Mike
Old 28th Oct 2013, 12:46 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Another use for the headphones output on a GDO is to calibrate the GDO itself - you need a crystal oscillator whose output you can loosely couple to the GDO's coil - then you tune the GDO across the crystal's frequency and you should at some point hear a "whoop" in the headphones.

Compare the crystal's frequency with the frequency now shown on the GDO's dial and you'll have a feel for how accurate the GDO's calibration is.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 6:03 pm   #6
neutronic
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humber888 View Post
I don't have the manual for the GDO so wondered if anyone knows what type of 'phones it wants (low impedance, high impedance, etc.) and what I should expect to hear.
In those old days carbon headphones. High-ohmic ,something like 1K.

And you will hear nothing!
Neither my Philips GM3121,two Grundigs 701/709 nor two Millens 90651/96052
have ever produced any sound other than hum.
The plug is only useful for injecting an audio-tone

Jard N.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 6:07 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

A lot of GDO,s were supplied with an ear piece like a deaf aid,not actually headphones.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 7:11 pm   #8
neutronic
Pentode

Yes,the newer(often transistor) ones from US and Japan like my Kyoritsu K-126A.
But the real old ones were ment for old fashion headphones as can be seen by those banana-plugs or big sized jack plugs in the GDO.

Nice example : Millen 90751 Audio plug-in unit.

Jard N.
Old 29th Oct 2013, 3:01 pm   #9
Humber888
Heptode

It appears that my Q-Max is doing better than Jard's GDOs. At least I get some (quiet) sounds from my headphones. (How many GDOs do you need Jard??) Anyway, the refurbishment is complete and I can put it to bed until needed. The original rationale for digging out the GDO was to help set up a ferrite rod aerial to resonate at 198kHz as an aerial for my Halcyon off-air frequency standard. Unfortunately the GDO only goes down to 1.5MHz so is of no use! Plan B I think.

Cheers.

Mike
Old 29th Oct 2013, 8:16 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

I should think plan B would be just to connect a germanium diode in series with a uA meter across the ferrite rod coil then just tune for max deflection if you know it's a long wave coil already.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread