UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2017, 12:12 am   #1
Damo666
Hexode

Default Anyone used Servisol Refurb 140 spray?

I have a few CB rigs here that I'd like to do the cases (enclosures) up on. Some have a wrinkled effect type plastic on, and the remaining are painted stock standard.

I've used a product called GT85 on them, and although the initial shine is decent, the shine tends to wear off pretty quickly.
It smells nice, too.

On eBay I found a product called Servisol Refurb 140 Silicon Resin that sounds the part but is quite expensive at £10 for 400mL, so before I part with my cash - has anybody used this, and what's your opinion on the finish, longevity of effect, etc'.?

Any cheaper alternatives that are going to bring the desired effect of a new look and shine to my CB rigs and various other bits of equipment are also warmly welcomed.
Old 10th Aug 2017, 8:12 am   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Anyone used Servisol Refurb 140 spray?

CPC have Refurb140 at £6.60 which would include free delivery.
http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/1000...ngdom%2Fsearch

Just a thought, but for plastics have you tried any of the car products around ?
Old 10th Aug 2017, 8:36 am   #3
Scimitar
Heptode

Armorall is one of the better ones, designed for hard plastics and the like. Probably a silicone product I would have thought, so a repaint would be difficult after application.

GT-85 is penetrating oil, so not sure how that would help improve a finish!
Old 10th Aug 2017, 8:51 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have used Refurb 140 on a variety of items with good results.
Old 10th Aug 2017, 12:27 pm   #5
Mooly
Octode

I actually used to use Armor-All for many years and rated it very highly, particularly the low gloss version. I guess as with any of these, you would have to try a little on the finish/es in question.

But yes, a great product.
Old 10th Aug 2017, 1:11 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I had Refurb 140 attack a textured vinyl material once, it went soft and matt and never recovered. Would always suggest testing on inconspicuous area first. Some of these finish-rejuvenating products are quite aggressive and may be formulated to for quick results at the expense of long-term damage to plastics - I avoid using them on museum pieces.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 1:09 am   #7
Damo666
Hexode

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Since there's a report of refurb 140 attacking textured Vinyl (I think some cases of mine have this) I'm going to leave it.

I've searched for "Armorall" and quite a multitude of products shows up, so please would somebody be so kind as to provide a link to the relevant stuff?

I'm thinking it's the dashboard cleaning/shining product, but aren't sure.

Edit; GT85 contains Silicon amongst other things and quite a lot of people I know use it to clean bikes, etc'. It has many uses.

Last edited by Damo666; 13th Aug 2017 at 1:13 am. Reason: Reply to missed question
Old 14th Aug 2017, 10:19 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

Personally don't like the feel imparted to surfaces by silicon products. Sort of half way between sticky and slippery.
Old 15th Aug 2017, 6:23 am   #9
G4YVM David
Heptode

I've always used Servisol foam cleanser. It works for me everytime.

D
Closed Thread