UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2018, 3:25 am   #1
[ARAU]rt49
Retired Dormant Member

Default Where to start learning?

Hi all,

I am a radio enthusiast looking to start collecting and repairing both transistor and valve radios.

The problem is that I don't have any knowledge of electricity/electronics. Willing to learn though!

Two basic questions come to mind:
  • Should I take my first steps with transistor or valve sets?
  • Where do I start learning? Should I go for a book? An online course?

Any guidance from the more experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

rt49
Old 17th Jul 2018, 9:46 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Where to start learning?

I'd start by joining a club, and learning from the old hands there. For example

http://www.barcvk4ba.com.au/
http://brisbaneradiosociety.net/
https://www.redclifferadioclub.org.au/

These are more to do with radio hams, but worth a call - they may know additional local resources.

It is very difficult to learn electronics from a book, just starting off.

Just from Google

Craig

PS We liked Brisbane when we visited during the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. Botanical gardens were a high point. Doubled up with visiting our daughter in Sydney.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 9:59 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

As well as Craig’s suggestions it useful to build small projects, say one stage audio amplifier, simple PSU, then perhaps a very simple radio.

Many of the radio amateurs clubs will have members who started like this and will have good advice. It will also get you used to using hand tools, soldering etc. It’s not just theory skills you need, practical ones are required as well. Working on 240vac equipment requires knowledge of how to work on it safely.

The clubs should be able to suggest a small selection of tools and test equipment worth acquiring and in some cases building.

It’s a fascinating journey and no one knows everything so there is always something new and interesting to learn.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 10:00 am   #4
Station X

This is always a good place to start:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 11:50 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Some years ago there were a series of 'Open College' programs called 'Power Base' and Circuit training' by Carol Vorderman and Michael Rod and they were brilliant. My wife accidentally watched one when I was away one night and informed me when I returned on how to bias a transistor.

I had not long got my ham radio license at the time it it prompted her to do the same - and she passed.

I don't know if they are still available from anywhere, I have looked on Youtube and can't find them but I do have them on VHS - if I can find them.

Peter
Old 17th Jul 2018, 12:07 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The traditional first project is to build a crystal radio set. It is self powered, has very few components, and is very likely to work (it's very discouraging to build something only for it not to work for some unknown reason). Despite the simplicity you will learn important basic info about radio and electronics, and how to read a circuit diagram ('schematic' in American English, not sure which is used in Oz). You can buy the parts separately and build it from scratch, or buy a kit from somewhere like eBay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_radio
Old 17th Jul 2018, 12:11 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’d you’re starting from rock bottom with no experience, it’s worth looking at the Make: Electronics books starting with this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1680450263/

Covers everything from the ground up. There is a second book which contains much more complicated circuits but the above will get you going well enough to tackle repairs, kits, construction and simple home made one offs etc.

Station X’s link is excellent too for specific radio information.

Edit: avoid the Make encyclopaedias and the Forest Mimms books. They’re mostly rubbish and wrong respectively.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 12:20 pm   #8
joebog1
Banned

Craig Sawyers has it!!
Most aussie radio blokes will be more than happy to help you.
Also try the local Mens Shed.

Just my take.

Joe
Old 17th Jul 2018, 12:24 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

Hi rt49.
May I suggest you take a look at www.***********************.
He is a City and Guilds qualified Radio and TV Engineer who has produced a great deal of learning information on vintage radio.
He also does a weekly video from his workshop, I think you will find it very informative.
Good luck in your pursuit of knowledge on a fascinating subject.
Cheers
John

Last edited by Station X; 17th Jul 2018 at 12:46 pm. Reason: Email address changed to url.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 2:44 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

May I enquire what your age bracket is? It's largely irrelevant, but it might focus our advice, particularly if you are very young.
Many of us here entered the hobby via shortwave listening and Amateur Radio.
It's a great way to start if you have a local club or someone to mentor you.

Does computer code float your boat, even if written by others?
PIC or Atmel microcontroller projects?
Arduino?
Raspberry Pi?

Lots of stuff available from China for these projects costing a couple of AUD.

And standalone electronic kits, including some with valves
Old 17th Jul 2018, 2:52 pm   #11
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

This chap - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuR...G_KxozLxwPzEjQ has done several brilliant video's covering valves etc, mostly in relation to guitar amplifiers, but these will give you a very good grounding in the basics. I wish he'd done them when I started.

Video's books etc are all well and good but I've learned more actually building circuits than from anything else. Try building a simple power supply for a start, this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmI22zJQZ5g goes into the basics building a circuit from The Art of Electronics - Hands on Lab Coarse, no idea if the book is any good. Also worth building are simple oscillators and amplifiers.

There are several good free PC based scopes available, which though limited will give you some idea of what's happening in a circuit.

Andy.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 2:57 pm   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

Just from my stand point having no previous electrical knowledge learning about capacitors has proved invaluable. I'd say I've fixed 80% of the dead radios in my collection purely by replacing the caps, each set I work on I learn something new.
Browsing the internet and this fantastic forum is were I've learnt most.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 3:22 pm   #13

I started (at the age of four) with a LEGO lighting up brick, (a bulb in a LEGO brick) two wires and a battery, it all went upwards from then. The book "Magnets Bulbs and Batteries" is a very good start https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=358 (for 1960's kids when there wasn't time sapping things like the internet so you had to make your own entertainment) don't make the mistake of "standing on the shoulders of giants" (miss quoted from Newton) do the very basic first, it will give you an unshakeable foundation. And learn Ohms Law (really easy), the basis of all calculations in electronics.

I have met people with a degree in electronics who have never wired a bulb and battery up or made anything.

Old 17th Jul 2018, 3:51 pm   #14
G4_Pete
Hexode

Also just ask around relatives and friends , someone always has some old radio transistor or valve in the loft or shed. Condition does not matter just pulling it to bits is part of the learning fixing it is a bonus!! But stay safe batteries are best from that point of view but I just had a huge belt this week trying to get some muck out of my wife's tiny camera. 350 volts on the flash capacitor exposed connections across my finger as soon as I split the case.
Pete
Old 17th Jul 2018, 5:27 pm   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

As well as contacting enthusiasts from local Brisbane radio clubs etc., perhaps a local technical college offers evening classes for basic electrical safety & basic electrical/electronics engineering ? Safety practices(or lack of) has been aired considerably of late on this Forum. Best to start out on the right foot. Most certainly, do not go anywhere near a mains powered valve radio until you've grasped safety & testing procedures.

Regards, David
Old 17th Jul 2018, 5:34 pm   #16
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

In the UK, in the 1960's, we had an excellent magazine called 'Practical Wireless' and I learned soooo much from reading that. If you were in the UK, I'd recommend you tried to find old copies; I'd guess some made it out to Aus, but they are probably expensive collectables now. I'm fairly sure you had your own mags - maybe they would be worth a look? The 60's was a time when both valve and transistors were around and the mags had a range of articles for all skill levels.

B
Old 17th Jul 2018, 5:46 pm   #17
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Practical Wireless in pdf format.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...s_Magazine.htm
Old 17th Jul 2018, 6:41 pm   #18
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I remember so many of those very well and very fondly.
Sadly, when my mother passed away, my sister threw my extensive collection (still at my mother's house) in a skip . It's just one reason why we no longer speak to each other.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 7:06 pm   #19
woodchips
Octode

I liked the Radio Constructor, Smithy and Dick, sure they are available as pdf files?

Scroggie in Wireless World isn't easy, but by gum you learnt something.

I suppose both of these are broad education, not fixing one particular thing, but more broadly. I always recommended a beginner make a blocking oscillator, need a scope, but without that you aren't going to last long anyway.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 8:07 pm   #20
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Didn't Practical Electronics run a beginners' learning series, perhaps more than once?
Closed Thread