UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2018, 2:11 pm   #481
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: Maplin stores

My local Maplin ran out of veroboards and project boxes a couple of weeks ago and I was really keen on stocking up. So it seems there is a lot of regional variation too.
Old 1st May 2018, 2:36 pm   #482
electronicskip
Nonode

My local Maplins in Gloucester had several signs on the door today asking for temporary staff!! so I'm guessing some have found jobs or jumped ship before the final day.
I did go in and there was still loads of stuff for sale including Metal detectors for £20.
Nothing really took my fancy though .
Old 1st May 2018, 5:30 pm   #483
IanBland
Hexode

This is turning into the longest closing down sale ever.
Old 2nd May 2018, 6:43 pm   #484
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I did a drive-by of the Swindon [Greenbridge] Maplin today: there were no more test equipment or project-boxes on offer, but still plenty of overpriced HDMI cables, disco-kit, drones, and they seemed to have tapped into a new seam of 13A-to-IEC309 kettle-lead cables, still at silly prices [any IT company will pay you to take these things away, not expect you to pay for them!].

I did come away with a fistful of compression-gland N-connectors for less than I'd expect to pay for these at a radio-rally. OK they're nasty nickel-plated ones rather than decent Greenpar silverplated, but at under £2 apiece they'll do just fine for HF and low-VHF stuff.

Also, 12-packs of AA NiMH cells for £12-or-so. I needed some to replace the "Energizer"-brand ones I've been using for the last couple of years in general appliances. OK, the Maplin ones are only 2100mAh as compared to the Energizers at 2450mAh but the Maplin ones are now half the price of equivalent Energizers... so I grabbed six packs-of-12: some of these will no doubt also find their way into re-celling the dead 1Ah Clansman battery-packs I have here to power my PRC320 when out in the forest.

I wonder how much longer the Maplin clearance-sale will continue? I guess to a large extent it will be driven by the lease/rent conditions of the stores - if the rent's payable quarterly I really would expect there to be a big drive to clear out and hand the stores back to the landlords by the end of June.
Old 3rd May 2018, 8:54 am   #485

Went to B.ham city centre store yesterday. Shelves still full of overpriced junk, even with discount applied. 4 staff hanging around being moody, unhelpful and useless as usual. Farewell Maplin. Don't come back.

Old 3rd May 2018, 11:00 am   #486
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think we've all got the message about the demise of Maplin now.

Perhaps it will be more helpful to just highlight any bargains as and where they appear. We have had a few examples so far, there just may be more to come in the dying embers.
Old 4th May 2018, 9:51 pm   #487
Reelman
Octode

Just to advise that after a visit to the Rotherham store today there is an additional 20% discount given at the till over and above any existing discounts. This offer will last until Monday.
For example, 24 x AA rechargeables costs £20.

Of course now that the website is closed they can’t tell you and the regular emails I received up until last Sunday have also ceased.

Peter
Old 4th May 2018, 11:26 pm   #488
emeritus
Dekatron

Bought some "D" cell alkaline batteries in my local branch today, just over £1 for a twin pack (70% off). The assistant didn't know when they were closing but said that they would not be getting any new deliveries, so all they had was what was on the shelves.
Old 6th May 2018, 9:39 pm   #489
cliff2903
Pentode

Wrexham appear to have put their remaining component's into plastic multi drawer organisers and selling them as a lucky dip affair for between £30 and £60 with a list of what's in them. There also selling fixtures and fittings ( the rather lovely large metal drawer units are £250 each)
Old 6th May 2018, 9:47 pm   #490
sortedradio
Heptode

10 branches closed yesterday, (Saturday 5th May), including my nearest branch in Hillsborough Sheffield. Apparently the shops with least footfall are going first. The lease on this shop was until 2022. Stock was low, but there were some real bargins to be had, with full and part reels of cable at £1 each, 4 AA batteries at £0.56 and boos at £1.
Old 7th May 2018, 12:20 pm   #491
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Extra 20% off for bank holiday weekend, just bought a Maplin Essentials table fan for £11.99 in Bournemouth town centre store. That store still has a good range of PC components too.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th May 2018, 10:18 pm   #492
MrBungle
Dekatron

CPC is still 1p cheaper and free delivery: http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel0...esk/dp/HG00657
Old 8th May 2018, 10:50 pm   #493
Dai Corner
Hexode

I was passing the Cardiff (Newport Road) branch today so popped in to see what they had and bought a Maplin branded 3m Lightning to USB cable for £7.20. I haven't yet done any proper testing but subjectively it charges my iPad more quickly than others I've tried and the external diameter suggests thicker conductors. The extra length is handy too. The price appears competitive with Amazon etc.

There was plenty of stock and I would buy another if passimg again.
Old 9th May 2018, 1:20 pm   #494
PsychMan
Octode

This is proving to be a very long demise. Each time I pop in expecting it to be the last, but next time I pass, there it is. Reminds me of the Knight from Monty Pythons holy grail.

A mostly used reel of RG58 for £16 didn't get me excited.

The lucky dip component drawer units struck me as poor value for parts I largely wouldn't use. The empty drawer units were £35 each, which is a less than exciting price compared to what for example Screwfix sell for £25. Granted the Maplins ones were a bit bigger. Useful if you wish to store industrial quantities of one component value, instead of the mere 200 or so you would get in a regular draw unit
Old 10th May 2018, 11:50 am   #495
newlite4
Octode

Went to the Bath branch yesterday having cleaned out their stock of 6xAA battery holders four weeks back only to find fresh stock at £1.10 each (normally £1.89) so I bought those. I use them to substitute PP9 batteries in Roberts, Hacker etc so they are very useful. I wonder if surplus stock from stores that have already closed is being sent to existing stores as happened when Woolworths went under.
Neil
Old 10th May 2018, 1:47 pm   #496
MrBungle
Dekatron

6xAA holders are still cheaper here: https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?...oducts_id=1444

I've not found anyone mention anything in the Maplin sale that you can't find cheaper elsewhere so far. This has become a hobby of mine!
Old 10th May 2018, 2:39 pm   #497
PsychMan
Octode

Beat me to it Mr Bungle! I was also going to add you can get them from ebay sellers for 99p with free shipping
Old 10th May 2018, 3:10 pm   #498
MrBungle
Dekatron

I think you win on the free shipping there
Old 10th May 2018, 4:23 pm   #499
Dai Corner
Hexode

How about 90p each (or 100 for £54) at CPC with free delivery if you spend at least £8?

http://cpc.farnell.com/cliff-electro...ttery%20holder

I had a marketing email from CPC this morning which started "Missing Maplin?"
Old 10th May 2018, 4:46 pm   #500
MrBungle
Dekatron

That used to be £5 ex VAT for free delivery. Hrmph!

Just had a look at RS and they don't do 6xAA's but do 4xAA's for £0.55 including next day Parcel force!
Closed Thread