UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2018, 12:30 pm   #1
Debussy
Diode

Default Dansette conversion back to record player

Hi

I bought a Dansette which has been turned into an iPod player, not very successfully as the audio is quite tinny.

Can you get replacement turntables? Nothing on eBay as they are generally sold complete.

Advice appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4407.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	166043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4406.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	166044  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 2:00 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Dansette conversion back to record player

Hi and welcome.
Yes, turntables turn up from time to time here and on ebay etc. It would be nice to know which turntable is correct for your cabinet - is the original model name/number still marked on it? Is the original amplifier still present or has that gone in the MP3 player conversion?
Furthermore, how's your electronics/soldering/mechanical experience?
Lots of help available here, especially for anyone wanting to learn!
Graham
Old 14th Jul 2018, 2:04 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Looking at Google pics, the Tempo looks similar, the Tempo had a Garrard Autoslim deck, my first thought would be to abandon and stick it on Ebay.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 2:52 pm   #4
leslie5555
Heptode

I agree with Lawrence, in my opinion you would be better off buying a complete Dansette that is in need of restoration. Restoration projects can be found at a reasonable price.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 3:03 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, this looks like it was originally a Tempo reord player. It will need a Garrard "Autoslim" deck, a stereo-compatible cartridge (very expensive), a suitable valve amplifier and possibly a loudspeaker if the orignal has been replaced. This will all cost you all far more than what you may think. And you will have to safely wire it all together. I suggest you sell it as it is on ebay wherein the cabinet might be useful to a collector. I'm afraid you have a bought gimmick too far!
Old 14th Jul 2018, 4:01 pm   #6
paulsherwin

I agree with the others. If some herbert has removed the deck and amp then it will be a major job to restore it to its original state, and certainly not a job for a beginner. I would sell it on, or maybe upgrade it to be a decent MP3 player with FM radio, bluetooth and a good amp module and power supply. The hardware to do this is available for next to nothing on eBay from China, and it will be much easier than turning it back into a record player.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 5:33 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

I suspect the amp has gone as well since only one knob seems to be fitted.....Why do people do this?
Old 14th Jul 2018, 5:55 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Strewth - it looks like what was once a Dansette Bermuda with a nice cabinet and original legs.

In excellent working condition they typically fetch £500 - £595 from Dansette Products Ltd:.

https://www.dansette.com/shop

It's a bit like applying Nitromors to a Chippendale chair and giving it a lick of Ronseal to freshen it up and to make it look more 'state of the art'.

Oh well - it's no concern of mine, but people who do things like that ought to have a restraining order slapped on them.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 4:04 pm   #9
tracypaper
Octode

It was a Tempo, the Bermuda has a white plastic speaker grill at the front.
Gaz
Old 19th Jul 2018, 4:51 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

I agree with the advice to stick it on ebay

Where I don't agree is on buying another Dansette!

Pick another make of record player. Dansette were at the bottom end of the market, selling cheapies to youngsters with limited funds. Nowadays they fetch prices right at the top end of the market due to lots of people reminiscing about one they had xx years ago. So rather ironically you should be able to get a better quality player for less money.

If you want a record player-shaped player all well and good, but the real bargains are in good quality Japanese hifi gear from the 70s and 80s. It's just about being given away and can be a lot better than a one-box player.

David
Old 19th Jul 2018, 8:54 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

It has some value, as a replacement cabinet for a poor example. Which is the donor, and which the recipient is a matter for negotiation, but as the OP hasn't returned it's hypothetical.
Closed Thread