UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2008, 4:22 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1973 Roberts R707 - 'new in box' and butchered inside

Hello again,

Here's another radio won at the last Wootton Bassett auction, a Roberts R707 complete with its original box and guarantee card which was described as not working but externally showed no signs of any use and apart from a tiny nick in the leathercloth above the badge and another in one of the trims across the front appeared as new. Ron Bryan very kindly offered to repair this one and indeed did all the repairs to it.

Later that evening Ron called about the set which he had taken a look at inside .... it had been butchered, its LP1164/1 IF module had been cut open with a circular cutter or hacksaw, wires had been singed, wires cut and soldered back together again, solder splattered everywhere etc ... and this set had been put into the auction with a reserve by its previous owner and I know who that was cos I saw him bring the set in .....

There was absolutely no hope of repairing the IF module but fortunately I had a scrap R707 with an original IF module in it so Ron took that out and replaced its almost certainly duff AF114, AF115 and AF116 transistors with new AF124, AF125 and AF126 transistors. The switch assembly and the damaged module were then removed and the PCB within the module was found to be broken in half, and one of its IF transformers was found to be o/c which probably had been the cause of its original failure. The repaired module was then fitted, new wires fitted around the switch assembly (as the originals had been cut and untidily soldered back together) and the switch reinstated. The set was then found to be working, quietly on FM but not at all on AM so Ron spent a very long time figuring out what had gone wrong and discovered that during cleaning of the PCB in the repaired LP1164/1 module a tiny speck of solder had got lodged next to one of the transistor leads and was causing a short circuit. That was cleaned off and at last, for the first time in 34 years, this R707 was in perfect working order.

My thanks to Ron who did a fantastic job repairing this set. It really is like a new set in operation this R707, the volume pot and switches all work and feel like new.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R707_63878_completed.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	18564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R707_63878_inside_completed 001.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	18565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R707_63878_IFmodule_completed 006.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	18566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R707_63878_switches_repaired 007.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	18567  
Old 18th Jul 2008, 4:24 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: 1973 Roberts R707 - 'new in box' and butchered inside

And more pics of the damage, and the repaired module.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP1164-1-opened-by-hacksaw 001.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	18568   Click image for larger version

Name:	R707-pcb_before 002.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	18569   Click image for larger version

Name:	LP1164-1-broken-pcb 003.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	18570   Click image for larger version

Name:	LP1164-1-awaiting-repair 004.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	18571   Click image for larger version

Name:	LP1164-1-repaired 005.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	18572  

Old 18th Jul 2008, 4:33 pm   #3
Colin
Heptode

Looks great Howard. A nice little 'time capsule'. Pity you and Ron had to go to all that trouble.

By the way Howard, Ron is a wonderful 'wing man' he really deserves a pat on the back for this one!

Well done Ron ...
Old 18th Jul 2008, 6:04 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

God that is terrible. Someody hasn't told the truth there - and that set had that done to it years ago by somebody and was then left. Don't necessarily blame the person it came from for this.....

Good job though as always, and in a way you've got a virtually new radio out of that.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 8:32 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Another good one Howard. I wish I had your talent(and the time!!!) for restoring radios. A particularly spendid example of this splendid Roberts. I have a soft spot for these-and own several. Only one works properly though!
Old 19th Jul 2008, 11:17 am   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

Another of my very favourite sets there! Tell me Howard, do you know when Roberts themselves started fitting the module with AF12* in place of AF11* devices? I fitted a fresh module to one of mine and, since the module was easy enough to work on before fitting commenced, I opened it up to check for AF11*s only to find 12*s in there, and clearly it had been built that way, yet the newest 707 I have is totally as it left the factory and has 11*s in its module, my mind still bears the scars of that marathon session of remove, check, find nothing wrong, bang head on desk, refit.......

So was it only later replacement modules that had the more reliable transistors inside, or were there some sets made to that spec from the off?
Old 19th Jul 2008, 2:37 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
By the way Howard, Ron is a wonderful 'wing man' he really deserves a pat on the back for this one! Well done Ron ...
Ron does indeed deserve all the credit for the repair to this R707 ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Another good one Howard. I wish I had your talent(and the time!!!) for restoring radios...
Thanks Tim. With this one however as with many others it was Ron who demonstrated his talent.

Howard
Old 19th Jul 2008, 2:45 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
......... So was it only later replacement modules that had the more reliable transistors inside, or were there some sets made to that spec from the off?
I don't know the answer to that. This is the second R707 with a faulty LP1164/1 IF module that Ron has repaired and both had AF11s in them. This one s/n 63878 is also the latest set I have (the highest serial number that Paul King has recorded at the Roberts Radio Group is 80378). These modules appear to be dated, the original one was stamped 73 41 (year week number ?) and the replacement module which came from a slightly earlier R707 is similarly stamped. It's a shame Mullard continued to use the AF11* transistors well into the 1970s as I'm sure that the fault with them was by then well known ...

Howard

Last edited by howard; 19th Jul 2008 at 2:53 pm.
Closed Thread