UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2019, 9:48 pm   #61
Scott37
Tetrode

Default Re: Are you all ready for single channel radio?

Just as an aside, does anyone know where Simon Bates is these days? Is he still broadcasting?
Old 5th Mar 2019, 9:53 pm   #62
Nuvistor
Dekatron

According to Wikipedia he left BBC Radio Devon in Jan 2017. Hopefully he is happily retired with his feet up.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Bates
Old 6th Mar 2019, 11:01 am   #63
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
On chatting to one or two it seems the whole thing's nothing like you'd expect. The playout is strictly controlled, timed to the second so the local adverts will fit in seamlessly. As a presenter, you record your link while a track is playing then you trim it to slot into the gap. It works, but it's not only the music that's processed to death!
Sad to say, this is precisely what I expected. How else would you merge several local stations into one while presenting the illusion of localism? I spoke to a presenter recently and he gave me the details. It's actually a bit more sophisticated. He can record different links for the different stations. He does a bit of research the night before to find out about events in each of the service areas and looks at the weather.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 11:34 am   #64
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I suppose the only thing they will listen to is when lots majority-type people start to reckon that broadcast TV isn't worth the trouble and no longer need a licence.

David
A good few people I've had dialogue with recently (30's & under) are coming to this conclusion. With a choice of phone provider, a choice of energy provider & a whole raft of TV content at our dispoal not needing a licence or subscription fees, coupled with pretty much the same 'entertainment' on the usual five channels for the past 10 years, whereby, in law, you 'do' have to pay for the 1st two channels, it has to be wearing thin, surely?

Radio stations are being amalgameted, the 'same-old-same-old' on TV, it has to be said, my car is now a lot shiner than it was & the garden's begining to look lovely!

The TV hasn't been on for a fornight now, and it's not been missed, the radio?, am finding myself channel hopping, listening to different adverts if nothing else (sigh).

Mark
Old 6th Mar 2019, 11:58 am   #65
Nymrod121
Nonode

This thread's URL is now added to my bookmarks so that I can read through it whenever I need an emotional uplift ...
Old 6th Mar 2019, 12:15 pm   #66
paulsherwin

Please stay on topic. Discussion of the BBC licence fee system is OT here, and potentially contravenes the forum ban on political discussions.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 5:16 pm   #67
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

This thread makes no sense to me. The number of radio stations now available on the internet is variously reported as between 25,000 and 35,000. I've just acquired my third internet radio, which is remote-controlled, has 250 pre-sets and cost less than £50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCzdVRb-FCk.

I have never actually looked for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a station somewhere dealing 24/7 with Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration. Whatever type of music you like, I doubt if there are fewer than 100 stations worldwide offering that particular niche. And of course, all the Beeb stations are there, and whatever local radio station you may be interested in.

I really miss Radio Trent and BRMB from the late 70's... but they ain't coming back!

B
Old 6th Mar 2019, 7:35 pm   #68
emeritus
Dekatron

At the moment, BBC Essex are emphasising that their announcers and presenters are all from, and are based in, Essex.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 7:59 pm   #69
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I really miss Radio Trent and BRMB from the late 70's... but they ain't coming back!
Actually, Radio Trent did come back quite recently as an online station but they were too successful and the royalties were too high so they had to cease broadcasting.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 8:06 pm   #70
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
On chatting to one or two it seems the whole thing's nothing like you'd expect. The playout is strictly controlled, timed to the second so the local adverts will fit in seamlessly. As a presenter, you record your link while a track is playing then you trim it to slot into the gap. It works, but it's not only the music that's processed to death!
Sad to say, this is precisely what I expected. How else would you merge several local stations into one while presenting the illusion of localism? I spoke to a presenter recently and he gave me the details. It's actually a bit more sophisticated. He can record different links for the different stations. He does a bit of research the night before to find out about events in each of the service areas and looks at the weather.
I'll have a laugh about that with my pal who has recently become a presenter at our local hospital radio station.

He tells me he has almost carte blanche about what he can play (with the exception of a couple of artists, I'm sure you can guess who).

Also, besides the thousands of tracks on the computer server, the studio is equipped with turntables, CD players and, wait for it, MiniDisk.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 1:02 pm   #71
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'm 29 and what I never listen to commercial radio because of my hatred of adverts. Although the BBC TV output has done nothing for me for years (except for using their remarkable 'Archive' facility on iPlayer to watch the original 'Civilisation', Iain Nairn's architecture programmes or Mortimer Wheeler in his various opinionated outings), I only listen to Radios 3, 4, 4Extra and 6.

I like Radio 3 because it is not dumbed down like the TV, it doesn't play only harmonious background music which is my experience of ClassicFM, and there are no adverts. There are programmes that explain music to someone with no knowledge at all, 'Late Junction' (the best programme on the radio, to my mind) which never fails to expose me to an entirely new music, and the presenters genuinely know their stuff. The puckish Sean Rafferty of 'In Tune' would be an integral part of my ideal dinner party!

The trouble with Internet Radio is that the ones I've listened to are more along the algorithm line: 'if you liked this, you'll like this'. I want the programme to enlighten me, not just run through records I have. I've yet to find a presenter whose taste or imagination is such that they will programme wildly different music - except on Late Junction. It's possible to have a Mediaeval lute piece followed by Japanese noise-rock.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 1:11 pm   #72
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I want the programme to enlighten me, not just run through records I have.

Give Solid Gold Gem AM a go then, although you may be a bit young for their playlists. 8000 records and the presenter chooses the ones to play. Sensible people rather than Ginger Whinger types and no adverts. It has become my station of choice.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 2:28 pm   #73
Top Cap
Octode

Listening to quay-fm from Alderney can be pleasurable at times, limited adverts and at times they play lots from, shall we say, our younger years
http://quayfm.ci-servers.org:1071/quay-fm
Old 9th Mar 2019, 2:40 pm   #74
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Whilst I agree with some of the points made by Uncle Bulgaria, I do listen to commercial radio (and watch commercial TV), and prefer Classic FM to Radio 3. I've also listened to the new Scala Radio over the past few days. One of the reasons I do so is that I've always believed in freedom of choice, rather than the limitations imposed by one provider of anything.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 3:29 pm   #75
AC/HL
Dekatron

I suspect that is why radios were fitted with tuning controls (and off switches) from the beginning. One may not choose many of the current offerings, but it wouldn't be broadcast if there wasn't an audience for it.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 3:58 pm   #76
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I'm 29 and... I only listen to Radios 3, 4, 4Extra and 6.
Yes, you can either stomach adverts or you can't. I'm 30 years older but I can't either, and suspect the ability to do so is correlated with an aptitude for background listening. I'm hopeless at that, either a broadcast has my fairly complete attention or I'd far rather it weren't there. A radio to satisfy me completely would only need the BBC World Service and Radios 3, 4 and (for a commentary when the mood takes me) 5, though the facility for an occasional SW foray would be welcome too: single channel radio wouldn't be felt as too much of an impoverishment if and only if the channel were the WS. It takes all sorts...

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 9th Mar 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 5:15 pm   #77
Refugee
Dekatron

An MP3 player can be filled up with enough recorded music to last all day.
Commercial music radio will suffer if the adverts get too annoying.
Old 15th Mar 2019, 8:05 pm   #78
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
Re post no. 32.

I agree about BBC R3's 'Late Junction'. Indeed, for even more wackier stuff, 'Hear and Now' will rearrange your brain...

But there again, tastes in music are as varied as the numbers of listeners, which is why the rush for 'more stations playing less variety' is somewhat puzzling. I suspect running costs determine all.
Make the most of Late Junction:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...9-cc5e84457fac
Old 15th Mar 2019, 8:25 pm   #79
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I never really got-on with Late Junction: to me it was always full of odd peoples banging-random-things-together or screaming in languages I didn't understand.

No Synthesizers? I tuned-out.

"Scala" - the new online supposedly-classically-oriented channel - has utterly failed to meet my expectations after a few listens. It has annoying "DJs" like Simon Mayo intruding into the music. I really don't want trivial chat interrupting my listening, which is why I'm sticking with my personal-playlists loaded onto a couple of dozen 64Gb USB-sticks.

[OK, I still listen to https://www.di.fm/ and Spotify for hardcore trance-stuff, and a few other streams where I can get J-Pop and the latest Ayumi Hamasaki stuff]
Old 19th Mar 2019, 5:20 pm   #80
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

An interesting (and alarming) blog post about cuts to Late Junction and the jazz programming, Junk Box Nick. I've seen LJ live a number of times at the Edinburgh Festival, compered by the irreplaceable Verity Sharp. It does make the radio worthwhile, although I'd be willing to give the new programme 'Unclassified' a go.

Geoffrey Smith getting axed is really bad news. He made Jazz Record Requests his own, and his graveyard slot, while a good programme, and a great chance to get more of an in-depth listen to his own tastes, always felt like he was being promoted sideways towards the boot.

G6Tanuki - sometimes it is as you describe. Occasionally I turn it off as it sounds like demented elephants and I'm not in the mood. However, it's there and challenging and sometimes I am in the mood for elephants! They do have synthesisers too, on occasion. Nick Luscombe often has more electronic music when it's his turn to present.

I hadn't heard of 'Scala'...it doesn't sound a match for Petroc Trelawney yet!
Closed Thread