UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2017, 7:44 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Problems with a Tandberg TCD440A cassette deck

A Tandberg TCD440A exhibits the following faults:

1) When attempting to set azimuth using the set's user azimuth adjust control and internal oscillator, the right hand meter should show a deflection that has to be set at maximum. The meter shows no sign of the presence this signal.

2) When engaging record mode, about 50% of the time the machine will comply, at other times it will immediately go to play, or to stop after a while. I have not checked to see if the machine actually records when in that mode yet.

I have performed the following so far:

I have used the machine for a short time and (when it doesn't drop out as per '2' above) it plays back fine.

Thoroughly cleaned the tape path, capstan and belts.

Removed every board that plugs in and cleaned the contacts.

Cleaned the slider pots.

Changed any Frako electrolytic caps for new ones.

Re-soldered any iffy solder joints that I have found.

I need to source a 10V/0.05A festoon bulb that illuminates a meter. An initial internet search has thrown up nothing. I will not use LED versions, in any case anything with a wider profile than the normal festoon will not fit in the limited space.

I'm also looking for an English version of the service data.

If anyone can help with any of the above that would be great, thanks.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 12:36 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Problems with a Tandberg TCD440A cassette deck

Mine's a 440A.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 12:58 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Progress. Today I found an iffy T2 fuse that had loose end caps and as far as I could tell when checking it, it was intermittent. It's hard to tell because obviously you have to try to move the end caps to check for intermittency, but as a consequence you can momentarily loose contact with your meter probes at the same time! So anyway, for the sake of a few pence I fitted a new one. I also cleaned three leaf switch contacts that were worse for wear and in need of a service. Having done that, the set does not drop out in record mode any more, it's rock steady. On reflection I'm pretty sure it was the leaf switches that were dodgy and not the fuse, whatever, but that should now be sorted.

The other problem, the user adjustable azimuth facility not working, is still present. Saying that, amongst the many times that I keep going through the procedure, it did work - once! so during that one time I was able to set the azimuth, so at least I know that that is correct now. However, the azimuth adjust facility - apart from that one time - refuses to work and needs to be fixed. I'm thinking that it's the internal oscillator itself, so I'll have to get the scope out and figure out how to check it. But I really need some English service data to do any good. Tandberg service manuals are written in a very practical, matter of fact way and are a great help when fault finding and servicing.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 3:50 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

There is some service documentation for the TCD440A here: http://sportsbil.com/tandberg/ .
Old 8th Mar 2017, 6:18 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Ricard. I have got a few pieces (ads and parts list) from there but I'm still missing the all important Service data in English. Cheers.
Old 9th Mar 2017, 6:32 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Did a complete overhaul of the tape transport and fitted a new main belt. The congealed grease underneath the moving head deck was a sight to behold. Petrol soon removed it though, and the bearings were all cleaned and greased. It now works great but there's still this niggling fault of the user adjustable azimuth control not working.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 8:21 am   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'm thinking that the switch that is used to bring in the internal azimuth test oscillator may be faulty. I've sprayed it with Servisol to the point of being sodden and operated it dozens of times, so on the face of it you'd think it was ok. But, nowt like actually getting it out of circuit and performing continuity tests while wobbling it around. Actually, before I perform an extraction I will - with some difficulty as it's mounted in a tight gap next to the chassis and via another sub board is also bolted to the chassis at another point, plus flying lead connectors all over the place (pause for breath..) try to wobble the switch in all directions, this not being possible with it in situ as it is actually operated remotely with a long metal actuator.