UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2008, 9:45 am   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Successful Rexine Restoration

Although this is already posted in the Cabinet & Chassis Restoration & Refinishing section under "Yet Another Bush TR82 Restoration Question", I thought it may be useful for those who have problems with Rexine Restoration and would like to here of a surprising success story.

As a follow up to my original problem I can now report on an accidental & totally unexpected but successful restoration to the faded & patchy blue rexine covering on my Bush TR82C (see thumbnail #1), which was the last stage of completing a full restoration of my Bush TR82C. (see thumbnail #3)

After doing some research on what colour dyes are available, I went for a product by Tarrago, No:16: Midnight Blue.

I've ordered a 35ml Kit and it should arrive in a day or two & in the meantime I dismantled the case assembly, in order to have easy access for ease of application of the dye.

Once the case was apart, I decided to give the faded rexine a degrease before the dye arrives but I'd run out of my usual Methanol/Ethyl mixture and the only other product to hand was Propanol-2 (iso-propyl alcohol).

Applying a liberal amount of the iso-propyl to a clean, white cotton cloth, I wiped it all over the faded rexine and to my utter amazement & almost instantly, the full colour came to the surface and within secionds had dried and after a few moments I buffed it with a soft, yellow polishing cloth.....and was as good as new!!!! (see thumbnail #2).

Seems like I've ordered the Blue Dye for nothing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	18441   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	18442   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	18443  
Old 11th Jul 2008, 8:37 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Successful Rexine Restoration

Thats a vast improvement.

I would guess the blooming is from an old finish (perhaps wax) and the IPA dissolved it.
Old 11th Jul 2008, 8:54 pm   #3
paulsherwin

That's a really useful discovery. I've always avoided using alcohol on Rexine because I expected it to rub off the dye. Your experience suggests that the dye is indeed soluble in alcohol, but there is plenty of dye just beneath the surface which migrates to the surface when dissolved in alcohol. The alcohol would then evaporate leaving new dye.

I wonder if meths would have the same effect?

Paul
Old 11th Jul 2008, 9:18 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Well thought of paul, IT WORKS! i have a scrap tr82c & have had the same problem as camtech after washing the cabinet. another use for meths!
Cheers
mark
Old 12th Jul 2008, 11:00 am   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I wonder whether this would work on acustic gramophone cabinets ?
Closed Thread