UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2008, 2:42 pm   #1
Keith_B
Tetrode

Default Bush MB60

Hi.
At the recent NCVF I bought a Bush MB60. The dealer said it was working. It had a somewhat tatty mains lead but the case was marked but not chipped. So for £25 I thought bargain. When I got it home I switched on after several preliminary checks. Alas after several seconds of buzzing all went quiet. I could still hear some slight noise from the speaker. I could see several of the Hunts capacitors had cracks so decided to replace them. I enquired on the forum as to what capacitors were the favourite to use & went along with the advice from Howard & Paul & got some capacitors from Justradios.com. Meanwhile I removed the chassis & cleaned the case. I had some red shoe polish which Clarks Shoes make to bring up the red rexine. I removed the dial by using the string method. After two weeks the capacitors arrived - Hoorah!! I replaced the capacitors over the course of 4 one hour sessions. When I switched on (the chassis on an insulated board) initially just a quiet buzz. Brought the case down & realized the volume was on low. Put my probe on the volume control & got a good loud buzzing. Turned the volume up & got some radio station. Selected MW and adjusted the tuning & tuned into Classic Gold. Sound was very good. Ran the radio for several hours. Replaced the chassis in its case. Sensitivity was good & volume was good. I am really pleased with this radio. I already have Tr82C & D, VTR103, TR82/97 & last Christmas the TR82DAB, so this now means I have all the generations of this style of case.

Keith
Old 14th Jun 2008, 7:00 pm   #2
ajs37
Heptode

Default Re: Bush MB60

Well done Keith - these are indeed lovely radios (I have one or two myself) - was the mains lead original?

You may have to collect a few more to get the whole set though - TR82B (brass fittings like the MB60) and the export model(s) ETR92 - which has shortwave and medium wave - I dare say there are others as well (one with a 208 waveband as well - or is that the TR82D?)
Cheers
Andy
Old 14th Jun 2008, 7:07 pm   #3
Keith_B
Tetrode

Yes the lead is original, but the end that goes in the radio is split. I have tied some string around the base of it so when I remove it the string takes the strain. I will keep an eye out for some of the TR82 variations.
Old 18th Jun 2008, 7:07 pm   #4
Keith_B
Tetrode

Here are some pictures showing the new capacitors and the radio with its "family".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushmb60 1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	17984   Click image for larger version

Name:	bushmb60 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	17985   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	17986  
Old 18th Jun 2008, 7:34 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello Keith,

Pics at last That's a nice collection, and I've never seen a TR82DAB set before. The MB60 is my favorite out of those, I daresay it's yours too.

Howard
Old 20th Jun 2008, 10:19 pm   #6
Keith_B
Tetrode

I have been searching for an MB60 for ages. When I got it working I was really surprised at the quality of the sound, and the sensitivity. Yes the MB60 is my favourite.

Keith
Old 20th Jun 2008, 10:32 pm   #7
phase_splitter
Retired Dormant Member

An excellent job, Keith.
I've repaired quite a few MB60s and they're very nice radios.
Looking at your pics, and working frommemory, I think yours is the later version.
They've got an extra stage of IF, which seems to improve quality of reception considerably, surprisingly; even.

Might be worth checking the MR as they can go HR resulting in low HT.
Old 21st Jun 2008, 3:00 pm   #8
Keith_B
Tetrode

Yes it is the later version. The circuit is in a different layout to that of the early version. The circuit is almost identical though. I down loaded the service manual from Paul Stenning's website (Good service) which gave all the component locations for early & late versions.
By the way what is the MR ?
Old 21st Jun 2008, 3:03 pm   #9
GJR 11L
Heptode

Metal rectifier, and there are two of those in an MB60.

I love mine, not having the lead didn't bother me as I always run it on its batteries, very usable sets these are.
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 10:39 am   #10
phase_splitter
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry, when I posted massage no7 I was still being moderated, so didn't get the chance to edit it after posting.
It should have been:-
..............yours is the later version. [New paragraph]
They've got an extra stage of IF, ................................

Although the layout of the two versions is, from memory, slightly diferrent, the circuit is the same.
Yes, MR=metal rectifier. There are two, but the one that gives the most trouble is the one on the HT rail.

Apologies for the confusion.
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 8:21 pm   #11
ajs37
Heptode

I love the picture of the "family"!
well done Keith!

Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread