UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2019, 9:39 pm   #1
julie_m
Dekatron

Default UNI-T UT210E -- any good?

The UNI-T UT210E is a multimeter with clamp-on current measurement ability, and it can measure DC using the clamp! (Presumably using a Hall effect sensor to detect the static magnetic field.)

But is it any good? I don't doubt the accuracy of the voltage and resistance functions, but how well does the clamp work? Is the knob likely to come loose after a few uses? How good is it at surviving overload conditions?

I've a requirement to measure DC from an amp or so to several tens of amps (not having to break into that would be a big advantage), and AC up to 20A.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:39 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: UNI-T UT210E -- any good?

I've bought a couple of these clamp-type meters for work. They're the ''Tenma 72-9480'' and I got them from Farnell. They look suspiciously similar to the Uni-T UT204 so they're probably not entirely dissimilar in behaviour to the UT210.

They work pretty well, but the DC current clamp has a significant offset on it, which is different between the two meters I've got. There's a handy relative measurement mode which allows you to zero out this offset. I'm pretty sure that's why the mode is there. Otherwise keeping a reliable zero on hall effect current sensors is hard, so I'm not surprised they haven't tried to do it. I don't know how much they drift - I haven't taken any long-term measurements with them.

Recommended, within their limitations.

Chris
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 9:11 pm   #3
buggies
Heptode

I bought a UT210E specifically for the DC clamp function as I was suffering car battery problems. It works very well - but for the 2A range at least, it is best to position the meter so that it stays in one orientation. If you can do this with no current flow, the "Zero" button will work and you can see a mA variation once current flowing. Can't answer for overloading (yet!)
Also used for checking PSU output currents up to 40A.

I did an orientation check once - see this post:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...6&postcount=15
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:26 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, I just found one for a shut-up-and-take-my-money price, so it's ordered ..... Now we have to play the waiting game .....
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:47 am   #5
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I purchased a Uni-T UT210 last year and have been very happy with it. The ability to measure current in the mA region is impressive but it is very sensitive to movement through the Earth's magnetic field on the most sensitive range. Where possible I have found the best technique is to bring the jaws up to the wire carrying the low current, then holding the meter steady zero it, open the jaws and pull the wire into the jaws, close the jaws and measure. Recent use included checking the trickle charging current from a solar panel in my car (around 60mA) and the current drawn from the LiPo by one of my brushless motor powered R/C model aircraft (40A)
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:52 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, it has arrived ..... Now to put it through its paces!

It certainly does not feel like it is going to fall apart in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_092505.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	180561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_092543.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	180562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_092610.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	180563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_092641-l.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	180564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_092735-u.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	180565  

Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:57 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

UPDATE: Having had a chance to put the meter through its paces, I'm impressed. The continuity beeper is instant, and the diode tester can illuminate a blue LED. Range selection is a bit awkward, requiring turning the knob (complete with beeping; this is a bit unnecessary really, as there is a definite detent action to the knob) and then pressing a button one or more times. But the test leads are nice, with snap-on covers that leave only the very tip of the probe exposed -- this reduces the risk of shorting adjacent terminals. Not that this is really the sort of meter you should be using on 3-phase distribution boards or the like anyway, though.

The carrying case is not padded, it's really just a stuff sac with a zip, but it does have a separate pocket for the leads. And it has a non-contact voltage sensing mode which can be used as a live wire tracer.

Of course, it's still brand-new, so some niggles might yet show up in time. But for now, it's an easy ****. (That's four stars, not a rude word!)
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:53 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

you'll be fine, I have the Rapid electronics Voltcraft badged version.

Important to read the instructions re - dc clamp meter. The jaws have an auto-zero which will null the sensor when you clip onto a wire, but then once the wire is positioned as per the arrows (and the right way round, see manual) then you press the null button again.

I've found it mA-accurate which is very handy. Mine is used in an industrial environment, but only for clamp amps.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 12:03 pm   #9
jez_145
Pentode

I think you'll be very happy with your UT-210e. I purchased one a while ago following the favourable comments here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148978

Also, as mentioned in the above thread, our fellow member Mark Hennessy published an excellent review of the instrument on his website:-

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget...nit_ut210e.htm

I have quite a few multimeters but seem to be using this one the most. The resolution in the 2A range in DC mode is very useful and it's just a nice compact size to carry around. I've found the various ranges to be surprisingly accurate, when compared with known good sources, and the zero function is also great. I don't even mind having to select DC mode when taking voltage measurements (I've got used to it now) !

Jerry
Old 30th Mar 2019, 3:17 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez_145 View Post
I don't even mind having to select DC mode when taking voltage measurements (I've got used to it now) !
That's what I'm hoping; it will be like touch-typing, with my brain offloading some of the work to my fingers, once I have used it a few times.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 9:02 pm   #11
buggies
Heptode

Mine does irritate in one way. It reverts to AC mode when I am measuring DC and switch current range.