UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 10:45 am   #1
Nicko
Pentode

Default DAC90A rewiring/rebuild drawings & Data....

Hi,

I did this Visio & Excel spreadsheet a few years ago - they may be useful for others. I find pictures are easier to follow than text. They detail all the information needed to rebuild a DAC90A from the ground up (if desired!).

Please let me know if you find any errors - I've not updated the spreadsheet for a few years (it's a while since I did a DAC90A)...

Constructive feedback always welcome... I'm always interested in improving what I do.

Please don't redistribute - rather, point folk back here so that errors (if any) do not propagate...

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx DAC 90A.xlsx (24.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: pdf NMdS DAC90A1.pdf (231.8 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by Nicko; 21st Mar 2019 at 10:59 am.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:07 am   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: DAC90A rewiring/rebuild drawings & Data....

Thanks for posting this. Looks like good reference material to me. People are always asking what capacitors to use as replacements and the DAC90A is certainly popular.

I'm surprised that you needed to replace several silver mica types though; I find these are usually still ok.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:13 am   #3
mark2collection
Hexode

I second the big thank you Nicko, and Kaylee20 too, who's name also appeared on the .pdf.

I can see this ending up as a sticky.

I've compiled a parts list using RS numbers etc not too long ago, sadly, in recent weeks referring back to my list, turns out these very replacement parts are now obsolete! (Eeek).

Mark
Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:17 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Mark, would you mind if I printed that Layout picture for use in my workshop, where I don't have a computer or WiFi access (Workshop is in a cellar) I wouldn't distribute it elsewhere, but simply use it when rewiring a DAC90.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 12:37 pm   #5
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Mark, would you mind if I printed that Layout picture for use in my workshop, where I don't have a computer or WiFi access (Workshop is in a cellar) I wouldn't distribute it elsewhere, but simply use it when rewiring a DAC90.
I'm actually called Nick! (Though my middle name is indeed Mark). Use it to your heart's content. That's what it's for.

I included an acknowledgement to Kaylee20 as I used his mods in the layout.

Also, I tend to minimal replacements. The silver mica etc. is only in there for completeness.

Cheers

Last edited by Nicko; 21st Mar 2019 at 12:47 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:11 pm   #6
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Nick - a wonderful resource that deserves to be a sticky as Mark mentioned above.

Don't suppose you have any plans for a view of the Top Chassis as the wiring around the dropper and output transformer can get a bit befuddled - or maybe that's just me?

It's certainly encouraged me to to revisit my DAC90A restoration which is on-hold at the moment.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:19 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

O.K., Nick. I realized your name was Nick, when I saw your post over on GVR as well!
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:27 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I included an acknowledgement to Kaylee20 as I used his mods in the layout.
Thanks for that! (Doesn't have a 'y in Kalee but correcting that would indeed be just the icing on the cake).

My mods entailed drilling a couple of holes to mount an extra tagstrip - which I see you have incorporated.

Clearly a fair bit of work has gone into this wiring diagram, Nick! Let's hope it gets plenty of use, and helps people to get the best out of their DAC90a's!
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:51 pm   #9
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post

My mods entailed drilling a couple of holes to mount an extra tagstrip - which I see you have incorporated.
Along with the new tag strip there are a number of new resistors and capacitors - is there any commentary that accompanies these modifications?
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:57 pm   #10
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
O.K., Nick. I realized your name was Nick, when I saw your post over on GVR as well!
Ah. I'm a moderator on GVR...

I've modified the vsdx file to correct kalee20's name - but I can no longer update the original post as the edit timeout has now been exceeded. I don't know if the mods here allow it, but it would be great to be able to keep the top post correct...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post

Along with the new tag strip there are a number of new resistors and capacitors - is there any commentary that accompanies these modifications?
kalee20's mods are all detailed here - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35784