UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2019, 3:56 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Philetta 283z Radio

Picked up a little Philetta 283z the other day along with a few other radios along the way ,but ive never seen one before and there is absolutely no metion of one on the forum either.

A couple on ebay German sellers along with a few descriptions but that's about it.

Has anyone had any experience of this unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_081353.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	180466  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 5:00 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Philetta 283z Radio

There were several models of Philetta with very similar appearance

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philip...3z_bd283u.html

I have a Philetta that looks very similar but its buried in storage so could not tell you the model number off the top of my head I don't recall any particular problems getting it going just the usual Philips stuff

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:27 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

They run a bit hot on 240V mains, as they are designed for 220V and the case is small. I run my similar 244U Philetta from an auto transformer. They have ERO capacitors that need replacement. Some of the AF coupling capacitors are screened types and it is worth replicating that screening with copper slug tape or similar, to avoid hum pickup. Hum can be a problem and sometimes the main smoothing electrolytic 100+50uF needs replacement. The UCC85 tuner valve may be weak.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 26th Mar 2019 at 10:40 pm.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 10:17 am   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

You can wire a 20V to 25V transformer to drop the voltage. Connect it wrong and it increases the voltage! Test wiring phase on a meter!
Old 27th Mar 2019, 10:24 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Yes, there are several Philettas who look very similar, may have similar circuitry, and will pose similar restoration challenges.

I bought a BD254U a couple of years ago with a damaged brown Bakelite cabinet which had pieces missing. I restored the cabinet and sprayed it light cream, then set about restoring the set itself, which would have been quite a challenge. As the set is so small, many components are mounted end on. As Ron Bryan says, some of the caps are screened types with three leads, which could be mistaken for two caps in one, but they're not. They're often missing their 'PHILETTA' logo on the front, and with the kind assistance of forum member EddieCE who sourced one for me from a German ebay seller.

The service sheet I found was a bit messy and illegible, so I redrew the whole circuit in two halves. Pic 2 below shows the original LH part of the circuit, pic three shows my re-drawn version.

I found an excellent write-up of a full restoration of a BD254U on internet at the link below, as I don't have the dextrous skills of a cardio-vascular surgeon, I knew it wouldn't be a straightforward task:

http://radiocollection.cmshost.nl/kv...d254u.html?i=3

Pic 4 below shows the caps on the circuit which were recommended for replacement in the restoration notes at the link above.

Pic 5 shows the cabinet after I'd restored it. However, before I got around to restoring the set itself, forum member Al, 'sykospain', who lives in Andalusia put a wanted request for a Philetta on the forum.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=Philetta

As a result, my set went to Al who had it professionally restored in Spain, which he later told me involved replacing fifteen caps, twelve resistors and the UL41 output valve. A glance at the underside chassis view below will show what a challenge that was. It went to Al with mixed emotions of sadness and relief on my part, and I was very pleased that Al was able to get it restored and back into use.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under chassis - three lead capacitor.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	180503   Click image for larger version

Name:	img602.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	180504   Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Circuit only_edited-3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	180505   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Circuit only - Caps to be replaced are highlighted.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	180506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Angled view2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	180507  

Old 27th Mar 2019, 12:26 pm   #6
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I have one, a B2D03A which is the same circuit as the B2D13A. I agree with David they are really tricky to work on and they do run very warm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philetta Front.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	180510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta Back.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	180511  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips B2D13A Philetta.pdf (550.8 KB, 64 views)

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 27th Mar 2019, 2:25 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Philettas were never made or sold by Philips GB so any you find will have been personal imports. They were popular purchases by British servicemen stationed in Germany - I think there was some sort of tax concession available.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 3:02 pm   #8
FIXITNOW
Octode

I have a 273 on the 2 do pile very similar
Old 27th Mar 2019, 6:22 pm   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC58-Hythe View Post
I have one, a B2D03A which is the same circuit as the B2D13A. I agree with David they are really tricky to work on and they do run very warm.
Just looked at the circuit of this - it actually has a mains transformer and a solid state rectifier!

I have a Philetta LW/MW/FM (can't remember the model number) which has series heaters (U80 series valves) and a dropper. It really does run hot. But it is a good performer and looks great in the dark. And despite being an AC/DC set, it has a pick-up input, activated by pressing two of the piano keys.

It's a horror under the chassis...
Old 27th Mar 2019, 6:41 pm   #10
Keith
Heptode

I've got one that's been in pieces in a box for many years - ISTR that the IF cores became detached from their threaded rods. Maybe I'll get a round tuit one day....
Old 27th Mar 2019, 7:37 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Philettas were never made or sold by Philips GB so any you find will have been personal imports. They were popular purchases by British servicemen stationed in Germany - I think there was some sort of tax concession available.
I'm sure that's right.

I mentioned in my earlier post the ones that appeared here were most likely brought back to the UK from Germany by British Service personnel who'd been posted to Germany in their thousands. In 1957 the British Army of the Rhine ('BAOR') numbered 64,000. Between 1958 and 1960, when National Service in the UK came to an end, there were still 55,000 UK service personnel posted there. (I wasn’t one of them – my ‘call-up' for National Service was deferred for three years to enable me to complete my apprenticeship. Conscription ended 25 days before the end of my deferment).
Old 28th Mar 2019, 1:21 am   #12
petervk2mlg
Heptode

This thread motivated me to check in my garage and indeed I have a Philetta 254U. German made and in need of restoration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philetta 254U.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	180535  
Old 29th Mar 2019, 1:09 am   #13
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
They run a bit hot on 240V mains, as they are designed for 220V and the case is small. I run my similar 244U Philetta from an auto transformer. They have ERO capacitors that need replacement. Some of the AF coupling capacitors are screened types and it is worth replicating that screening with copper slug tape or similar, to avoid hum pickup. Hum can be a problem and sometimes the main smoothing electrolytic 100+50uF needs replacement. The UCC85 tuner valve may be weak.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Can you expand on how you actually effect the screening?
Thanks
Peter
Old 29th Mar 2019, 2:22 am   #14
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A sleeve of copper slug repellent tape is the easy way, with the earth lead soldered on.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:39 am   #15
ronbryan
Octode

I use a trimmed overlapping turn of self-adhesive copper tape, which is available in the UK in about 25mm widths, sold as slug repellant tape as previously mentioned, wrapped around the capacitor. I make a quick soldered connection to the tape, to avoid damaging the capacitor and cover the capacitor, tape and joint with a Hellerman silicone rubber sleeve. A flux pen can speed the soldering process.

I think that adhesive copper sheet and tape is also available for guitar enthusiasts, to use for screening the scratch plate from hum pickup.

Ron
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:21 pm   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

A continental vintage radio component supplier has 3-lead screened axial caps, albeit the method Ron suggests seems entirely satisfactory:

https://atr-shop.de/axiale-kondensat...schirmung?c=21
Old 29th Mar 2019, 4:11 pm   #17
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Thanks to Boater Sam, Ron and David for the clarification.
P
Old 5th Apr 2019, 6:25 am   #18
petervk2mlg
Heptode

I decided to check my Philetta 254U over and see if I could get it going.
Initial inspection showed the fuse to be open circuit. Not a good sign, but I replaced it and powered the radio on after a few static checks. The dial lamps lit which was a good sign.
There were some signs of life and very weak distorted reception of my local AM station on 549KHz. A check of the wiring showed someone had been at work before and I noticed some soldering work and disturbed wiring round the control grid of the UL41. The 330K UL41 grid stopper resistor R56 had been bypassed.
I restored the wiring to how it should have been and replaced the key components outlined by David above, yet the weak distorted audio persisted.
At least I had some signs of life on MW and on UKW.
The voltage across the UL41 cathode resistor was very low - only a matter of two or three volts. Perhaps the UL41 is weak I thought and the bypassed grid resistor had been a vain attempt to coax some more gain out of the tube.
I replaced the output tube with a good one and was rewarded with much more volume. A big improvement on FM was effected by a new C72 - 4.7UF electrolytic (positive to chassis).
After replacing the UCH81 and the UABC80 the radio was sounding really good on AM and UKW.
I'm glad I read this thread and got motivated to resurrect my nice little Philetta.
Old 5th Apr 2019, 8:48 am   #19
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Hope you changed the grid coupling capacitor on the UL41 else soon you will need another!
The slight leakage of this capacitor has wrecked a lot of UL41 valves, they are run quite hard and suffer from grid current all on their own when they have been over-run for a while.
Glad that the output transformer survived this treatment, many don't.
Closed Thread