UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2012, 9:45 pm   #1
cairnyhillock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin Teasmade D25, disconnected wire.

I have a D25, works great but no buzzer. Upon inspection, I found a green wire with soldered copper end had been disconnected, but from where? any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 27th Jul 2012, 8:53 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade D25, disconnected wire.

There are a few green wires on the D25; here's a diagram to help, though it's not yet complete:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D25.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	69067  
Old 27th Jul 2012, 9:55 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Probably the normally-closed contact of the kettle platform switch.

Teasmades are gloriously simple, wiring-wise.

The kettle sits on a weight-operated changeover switch. When the kettle is full of water, the switch is operated and the switched live from the clock goes to the kettle heating element. At boiling temperature, the water begins to boil; and the steam forces the liquid water out (the kettle spout is extended on the inside to dip down into the bottom of the kettle, so steam rising above the water pushes down on it; and up the spout is the only way for it to go). When the kettle drops below a certain weight, the switch is released and the switched live from the clock is diverted to the buzzer. If the kettle boiling didn't wake you, the buzzer definitely will!

The light is supplied via another changeover switch. In AUTO mode, it gets its feed from the kettle platform switch so as to come on with the buzzer. In LIGHT mode, it is switched to a steady live instead.
Old 27th Jul 2012, 12:00 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Attached are photos of the wiring of my mother's teasmade that I took some years ago before dismantling it. I don't know the model number, but it was bought around 1970. On my mother's model, the "green" wires are in fact Yellow/Green, and provide the earth connections.

She hasn't made tea with it for years, but uses it as an alarm clock: she is profoundly deaf, and the light that comes on when the alarm buzzer goes off, wakes her up. The fault turned out to be dried-up grease in the motor pinion gear that was causing it to jam intermittently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teasmade1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	69069   Click image for larger version

Name:	teasmade2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	69070  

Last edited by emeritus; 27th Jul 2012 at 12:09 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Old 27th Jul 2012, 1:02 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Are you sure you need the buzzer! It's very loud and most people are woken up by the lamp and bubbling sounds of the boiling water.
Old 27th Jul 2012, 1:40 pm   #6
suebutcher
Heptode

Quite. The buzzer is horrific. I disconnected mine. I wish they'd made them with a bell.
Old 27th Jul 2012, 7:56 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Attached are photos of the wiring of my mother's Teasmade that I took some years ago before dismantling it.
That is an 855 which is later than the OP's D25 and the wiring is considerably different.

Both of these models do allow the buzzer to be adjusted to be quieter, incidentally.
Old 19th Feb 2014, 8:20 pm   #8
steve.w
Pentode

I have just got my D25 back out of the box, given it a good clean and have it all back in working order, but as previous comments remark, the buzzer is awful.
I would be interested to know how it can be adjusted to make it quieter before I either disconnect the buzzer entirely or risk throwing the thing out the window....even my neighbours complain of the noise!
Steve
Closed Thread