UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2018, 10:26 am   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve base cleaning /or cleaning tools ?

Re post#19: Yes, I remember using that method, we had some in a workshop back in the 1960's, can't remember whether it was a commercial job or homebrew, whatever it was it was light blue in colour as I remember.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 7:10 am   #22
sparkymike
Octode

I like the idea of the guitar strings as I have a few old ones to hand.!The wire wound type would be best, flat wound would not do much. These would give similar results to the BOC nozzle cleaners I think.
Pipe cleaners will also be checked out.
Many thanks for all replies, I have enough to go on now.
Mike.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:26 am   #23
Peter.N.
Dekatron

A problem I used to have with B9A bases was that the tension was lost and no matter how much you cleaned them they would still not be reliable. I had a small electrical screwdriver, (4d in Woolworths), ground down to a fine point, you could insert this between the between the pin socket and outside edge of the base and lever it in a little, worked a treat.

Peter
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:32 am   #24
Refugee
Dekatron

I use an engineers scribe to fix slack sockets as a last resort before harvesting a pin from another socket.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:42 am   #25
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
A problem I used to have with B9A bases was that the tension was lost and no matter how much you cleaned them they would still not be reliable. I had a small electrical screwdriver, (4d in Woolworths), ground down to a fine point, you could insert this between the between the pin socket and outside edge of the base and lever it in a little, worked a treat.

Peter
McMurdo valveholders went through a bad phase in the 1950s/60s whereby the contact alloy becomes brittle with age and half of the bifurcated socket breaks off. No amount of cleaning will then cure the crackles. I have a Ferrograph that was originally full of the things: replacement was the only cure.

Martin
Old 5th Sep 2018, 3:35 pm   #26
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2collection View Post
I've used contact cleaner on light tarnish, but for heavier tarnish, I've used off-cuts from guitar strings in conjunction with the contact cleaner.

Works great, I've also found some socket 'pins' require a gentle squeeze for an improved valve fit.

Oh, and make sure the HT has decayed away before removing a valve & merrily start using a guitar string.

Mark
Brilliant idea!
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:29 pm   #27
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Years ago when I was reconditioning and selling CTVs, I remove a pin from a scrap CRT, araldited it to a little plastic stick, and used that to test every tube base, pin by pin. Many too slack, replace base, just an odd one, remove the offending one, and replace with a good one.
When I replaced a complete base, there would usually be a few good ones to remove from the base before scrapping it.
I seem to recall it was usually the same area where the socket tension was low/socket broken.
Les.
Closed Thread