UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2007, 10:01 am   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Philips T-Vette - Request for advice.

I have a Philips dual-standard T-Vette which works perfectly well on both 405 and 625, the only problems I personally found with it were dirty contacts on switches and controls, which were easily rectified with some Servisol, aside from that I have done nothing else to it and it works perfectly.

My request here for advice is regarding 2 things.

Firstly, the set looks to have all of its original condensers, including the original electrolytics. I'm used to working on much older sets than this, and I was just curious as to whether the general opinion here is that the originals are usually still all right, or whether the electrolytics, or indeed, all of the original condensers should now be replaced?

Secondly, are there any other preventative measures that would usually be taken with a mid-sixties set of this type?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 11:23 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips T-Vette - Request for advice.

Well, the only advice I can give is the same as for radios - Use it or Lose it. If it's used, then it'll stay healthy.

These work at a lower voltage - 12v or so - so there's no real high voltages about apart from the EHT, which is generated in the usual way.

Check for excessive volts on the tube base - these sets tended to eat tubes due to a fault here.

These were discussed here :-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=10803

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 1:39 pm   #3
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the tips Steve, that's very helpful. Good point about the lower operating voltages of the condensers, certainly all seems well at present.

Thanks for the tip about the CRT heater as well, what voltage should the heater be receiving? Presumably if it's high then the easiest way to drop it would be with a wire-wound resistor?

Thanks again.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 7:24 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Peter,
If the power supply is working correctly the crt heater volts will be correct.

The supply rail is around 11-11.5volts and should never be above this level. If it is high, I suggest you disconnect the tube base and see how it adjusts on the psu.
If I remember, there is a preset, but if this is dirty, adjusting it might cause the L.T. to rise in an erratic manner and if the crt base was connected, it might blow the heater.....

A general rule is, if the height ,and particularly the width are correct, not excessive, and no hum bars are present, leave it well alone.

The less you disturb this set the better. Wound components are fragile and easily damaged. Good luck with it. Regards, John.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 11:14 pm   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the advice John. I took a voltage measurement on the CRT base from Pin 3 and chassis and the voltage reading was 10.8 volts, so, it seems, all is well in that area.

The height and width are spot on and there are no hum bars, so presumably that's all alright.

It seems that, as the set is working so well, and the condensers are probably still fine, that the set can just be used and enjoyed. I'm not used to working on modern sets like this, any sets I usually come in to contact with have plenty of wax condensers and run at high voltages.

Thanks again.

Peter.
Closed Thread