UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2013, 10:52 pm   #1
robin coleman
Hexode

Default 4 pin Socket (Actually a Fuse Holder)

On a recent Downton Abbey there was what appeared to be a 4 pin ceramic socket about 2 inches across. I have never seen one like this, can anyone shed some light what this would have been used for?

Regards
Robin
Old 30th Dec 2013, 12:29 am   #2
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Default Re: 4 pin socket

Well, I missed it but it may have been a three phase connector. I would imagine that Highclare Castle is large enough to have its own three phase supplies and there is bound to have been some appliance or other, possibly in the early days which needed its electricity in this form. Three phase motors are much smaller than their single phase counterparts, run more smoothly have a higher starting torque and do not require such additions such as pole shading or capacitors to enable them to start.

P.P.
Old 30th Dec 2013, 12:51 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 4 pin socket

Hi,
This is an ancient French two pin socket in a house in our village which looks like a four pin one at first glance. The other two 'holes' are fixing screws. Is it anything like the one you saw?
Three phase supplies were far more common in French domestic premises than in the UK. It was mainly used for heating rather than motors.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old switches.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	87257  
Old 30th Dec 2013, 1:44 am   #4
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

There were ceramic fuse holders, that look like sockets, that had ceramic covers with four holes in them which could be unscrewed to replace the fuse wire.

They were often mounted in the open near the switch or socket they fused.

I found this picture from the internet

Yours Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_10.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	87260  
Old 30th Dec 2013, 3:38 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

The fuse holders in the photo in #4 look like those shown in the 1911 GEC catalogue; 5A rating = 2 1/8" dia, 8A rating = 2 3/8" dia. Higher current versions (10A, 20A) were oblong.
Old 30th Dec 2013, 10:35 am   #6
robin coleman
Hexode

That certainly looks like it. It was by the back door so was probably for the outside lights. Another one I will have to look out for for my plug collection.

Regards, Robin.
Old 30th Dec 2013, 5:15 pm   #7
robin coleman
Hexode

Richard were (where) on the internet did you find this photo.? Aare there any more as I tried looking for them on there?

Regards, Robin?
Old 31st Dec 2013, 12:53 pm   #8
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin coleman View Post
It was by the back door so was probably for the outside lights. Another one I will have to look out for for my plug collection.
Usually found on a square pattress along with a double-pole switch consisting of two linked tumbler switches; the original 'consumer unit'.

Often seen on internet auction sites; some carry a brass plate for 'Newcastle Electric Supply Co.' or some such.
Old 1st Jan 2014, 5:55 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

Here's the round cut-outs and double switches from the 1911-12 GEC catalogue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gec cut_outs 1911_12pdf.pdf (389.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 1st Jan 2014, 8:10 pm   #10
robin coleman
Hexode

In the end I bought the one in Richard's picture from eBay. another one for the collection.

Regards, Robin.
Old 1st Jan 2014, 8:19 pm   #11
robin coleman
Hexode

Very nice catalogue extract emeritus I wish I could find a copy of these catalogues. I have found a few wiring and repair articles in some of the early Odhams DIY books .
Regards
Robin
Old 1st Jan 2014, 9:34 pm   #12
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

They look like pepper pots to me.

Seems odd that every light would be individually fused though. Did old bulbs blow fuses often, or perhaps higher amp fuses that could serve a number of bulbs were harder to make/obtain back then?
Old 1st Jan 2014, 10:16 pm   #13
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

Here are some more pictures of similar fuses owned by a friend of mine.
I have removed the cover to reveal the insides.

Yours, Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	87344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	87348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	87349  
Old 1st Jan 2014, 10:33 pm   #14
robin coleman
Hexode

Thank you for those pictures. They are built similarly to the ceiling roses I have in my collection. I love the white ivory dolly switch in the photo, the switch for the upper classes an old electrician friend of mine called them. One of the switches I still have missing from my collection.

Regards, Robin.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 12:16 am   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

The fuses in the photos have a continuous bridge, whereas the GEC ones (which seem to be made by "RT", and patented by RT if you zoom in on the woodcut picture) have a gap in the bridge to accommodate the fuse wire.

One of my old catalogues shows a house wiring diagram (for a private installation) with individual fuse links at each switch, but in the opposite wire from the switch, to facilitate isolation of each branch for testing. This was in the era when wiring was by individual wires laid in pairs of grooves on strips of wood and coved with a wood cap.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 11:38 am   #16
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: 4 pin Socket (Actually a Fuse Holder)

This is getting interesting when considering the days when they fused live and neutral. Emeritus, could you do me a scan of the house wiring as I would be very interested in it.

Regards, Robin.
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 2:43 am   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

The house (and warehouse) wiring plan is in the GEC 1893 catalogue. PDF attached. I have incuded other pages from that section with pricing estimates.

There are also extensive tables of contemporary wire data that I can post if of interest. They supplied a number of different grades of cable, at 150M, 300M, 400M and 800M Ohm insulation ratings, at correspondingly progressively increasing cost. Electrolier cables were rated at 2,000 MOhm, with 5,000 MOhm available to special order. Various conduit wiring systems were also available, including a flexible conduit system using bitumen-impregnated papier maché.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GEC 1893 house wiring.pdf (1.28 MB, 133 views)
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 12:44 pm   #18
robin coleman
Hexode

I find all things electrical very interesting as I played with quite a few old electrical fittings as a child. My grandfather got many such articles as scrap including old gas mantle fittings and old witnesses to take the parts out of to add to my Radionics set.

Regards, Robin
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 1:52 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

Fascinating!

What is particularly interesting is the tacit assumption that a private house lit by electricity would be either very large or a mansion!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 1:58 pm   #20
Station X

Quote:
old witnesses to take the parts out of
Before or after they give evidence? Please read your posts before hitting the reply button.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread