UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2014, 10:39 pm   #21
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Default Re: Old Door bell how does it work?

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist posting this:

Back in about 1960 when I was a schoolboy, my Physics teacher, who went by the nickname of "Old Cheese" often said: "all you need to know to pass "O" level Physics, kid, is Archimedes principle and how the electric bell works."

In class we had drawn the (trembler type) thing in our books and even made one whch produced buzzing noise when wired up to a lab 2v accumulator.

P.P.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:38 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

From what I recall, explaining in a qualitative sort of way how a trembler bell works is easy enough but explaining it quantitatively is anything but!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jan 2014, 12:05 am   #23
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Pilcher View Post
Back in about 1960 when I was a schoolboy, my Physics teacher, who went by the nickname of "Old Cheese"
He wasn't the sort of bloke who would ask a 'volunteer' to pick up a metal spanner and put it into a metal bucket, both of which were connected to a battery and a mahoosive iron-cored coil of wire, was he?

Then after lulling the class into a false sense of security, would ask for another 'volunteer' to remove the spanner FROM the bucket?

Just wondered...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 15th Jan 2014, 7:03 pm   #24
P.Pilcher
Pentode

No, he wasn't.

P.P.