UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2013, 10:50 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Talking Kenwood Chef A901 blew up today !!

Good evening,
I was in the process of making a victoria sponge cake this morning when there was a pop and a nasty smell which filled the kitchen. It then carried on working as before. I had a look and one of the horrible 0.047uF X2 rated Rifa capacitors had split and melted and in the process took the 56 ohm resistor that was in series with it.

I have ordered some replacemrent parts from RS this evening to fix it There is a 0.15uF X2 rated cap and a 220 ohm resistor as well as a BTA 08 600B triac. I will replace them all and hopefully all will be ok.

Cake didn't get burnt in the oven though

I remember many years ago (sometime in the mid 1980's) the same machine was mixing up a very large and solid christmas cake when the belt slipped off the top of the toothed pulleys and cut a hole through the top cover of the machine!!

It is a well made machine no flimsy plastic to break Nice to see they are still made with virtually the same main body castings today though sadly made in China rather than in Havant.

Christopher Capener
Old 28th Jul 2013, 11:08 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Kenwood Chef A901 blew up today !!

Hi,
I've had a few things go off 'pop' due to the suppressor caps across the motor failing short circuit. To wit; a Miele vacuum cleaner, a Eumig P8 film projector and my Mum's old Silex hand mixer which I've inherited. All I've done is cut them out and left it at that. They all work as normal and no one's said anything to us about interference.
Cheers, Pete
P.S. My wife does a mean Victoria Sponge as well!

Last edited by Tractorfan; 28th Jul 2013 at 11:10 am. Reason: Cake reference.
Old 28th Jul 2013, 1:05 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Kenwood Chef A901 blew up today !!

I had friends who worked at the New Lane, Havant, Kenwood factory. (Just along the road from Plesseys.)

The 901's were well made and intended to last a lifetime.
Which many of them have done.
Old 28th Jul 2013, 1:44 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

These mixers often start billowing smoke as the capacitors fail and they end up in the bin! There's plenty of repair kits available, comprising of two X2 capacitors, two resistors and a triac, especially on Ebay, that could fix them for a just few quid.

David
Old 28th Jul 2013, 4:11 pm   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

I have done two so far, nice and easy.
Old 17th Nov 2013, 9:29 pm   #6
schuadary
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

I have same problem with my 901,which we never used since bought in 1982, today.

Can someone help me with locating motor or other parts to be replaced?
Old 18th Nov 2013, 12:11 am   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Kenwood Chef A901 blew up today !!

About ten years ago I was given a Kenwood chef. I did the usual pre-power checks: all O.K., so put it to use. Unfortunately, 10 minutes into doing some serious mixing, the motor burnt out. Now I cannot recall exactly where I obtained a replacement motor from, but it would have been the result of an Internet search. What is also worth mentioning is that the replacement of that motor was not a trivial task.

Al.
Old 18th Nov 2013, 1:05 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Just search eBay for "Kenwood 901"
Old 18th Nov 2013, 9:23 pm   #9
schuadary
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Thanks for replies. Can someone help / tell how to get into where motor is located. I tried to find any screws etc at the bottom(where power lead is connected) without any luck.
Old 19th Nov 2013, 1:53 pm   #10
space charge
Tetrode

To remove the motor. Have the marking paint standing by. Plug it out. On the top rear there is a panel that covers the blender driver, that's where you start unscrewing.

Three screws, mark the position before you unscrew then 3 more supporting the motor. Undo the belt, disconnect the sliding retainer 2 screws where the body lifts. It's all a bit fiddly - take your time. Wear gloves, there may be an amount of brush residue. The motors tend to be fairly robust so you probably will just have to replace a few components. A little capacitor makes a lot of smoke.

Best of luck.

Regards, Pierce EI7KA.
Closed Thread