UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:30 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Voltage regulating electrolytics?

I was reading a copy of Wireless World from 1936 recently and my attention was drawn to an advert for electrolytic capacitors. It said that the capacitors would actually regulate or limit the voltage across them due to the leakage current increasing at the specified working voltage. This was a new one to me. It's as if they accepted this characteristic as a benefit. I would have thought that the capacitor could have gone into a runaway condition and eventually failed, rather than remaining at a steady value of leakage current. Surely any leakage current is accepted as a bad thing nowadays. Interesting.
Alan.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 6:28 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Voltage regulating electrolytics?

I have a 1938 book on Electrolytic capacitors. Section 5 is titled "Regulating Type of Wet Electrolytic Capacitors". It was a specific design that offered those enhanced leakage characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulating-capacitors1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	168760  

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 5th Sep 2018 at 6:34 am.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 8:50 am   #3
ricard
Octode

Could it be that this effect could only be exploited in this way in wet electrolytics?

Speculating here, but could it be that the dielectric oxide was thicker in these early capacitors and thus able to withstand the abuse due to leakage more?
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:34 am   #4
GMB
Dekatron

All electrolytics exhibit this kind of effect, especially when the oxide layer has aged and so needs reforming. They behave a bit like zener diodes and anyone designing a reformer should bear this in mind.

Wet ones will be able to stand being in the break-down state for longer because they have loads more electrolyte than the modern kind. Electrolyte is used up in this condition.

I think this effect is only useful as a surge limiting feature. I have found that the working voltage of electrolytics rises towards the applied voltage, so while acting to limit the voltage, that voltage will also increase.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:56 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

Surely is that not just another was of specifying a surge voltage.
If leakage was sustained for any time the capacitor would get hot and go pop.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 5:11 pm   #6
Biggles
Rest in Peace

My thoughts too Refugee.
Alan.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 6:03 pm   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Has no-one read the page I attached to post #2?

I'm not saying it is necessarily a good idea, or that the capacitor will run really hot (up to ~10W from the graphs). All I am saying is that it seemed to be a valid design option in 1938, 80 years ago, and corresponded to the advert in WW that the OP saw in a 1936 issue.
Closed Thread