UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2017, 9:56 pm   #1
barry1506
Tetrode

Default Technics HD310

I've just got hold of a very nice technics HD-310 sytem and I've tried hooking it up to a technics SL-j1 record deck and I can only hear sound from the left speaker and have to turn the volume up full on to hear that.
The CD and tape and radio work and sound good is this unit able to take a record deck?
Old 15th Jun 2017, 10:33 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Technics HD310

I suspect you need an RIAA pre-amp to boost the signal from the deck's magnetic cartridge so it's suitable for the line-level inputs on the HD-310.

Not expensive, you should be able to pick something up for £20 or so.
Old 15th Jun 2017, 11:31 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You should be able to hear something from both channels, though it won't work properly as Nick says. If one channel is completely silent then check all the wiring and connections carefully. If that is all correct then you may have a switching fault somewhere, or maybe a dry joint where the RCA sockets are attached to the PCB.

If you need an RIAA preamp, one option is to build one. You only need a TL072 or similar op-amp and a few other components. You don't even need a mains PSU, a couple of Poundland PP3s will power it for months.
Old 16th Jun 2017, 7:09 am   #4
barry1506
Tetrode

Thanks for your help I've orders a pre amp as soon as it arrives I'll let you know .
Cheers for now
Barry
Closed Thread