UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2010, 6:48 pm   #1
medge799
Pentode

Default Hot and bothered?

Hi all,

My daughter works as a research biologist and has recently given me an infrared temperature measurement gun. This thing has a pistol grip with a trigger switch which turns on a strong beam of laser light from the front of the device. If you point the beam at something, a display on the back tells you the temperature in degrees-C or F, at a distance, without actually touching the thing being measured. I'm reliably informed that it is *the* way of measuring the temperature of bacteria cultures; but what about old radios?

I tried it on an old valve radio which had not yet been otherwise assessed. The tool quickly showed that some of the old paper-wax capacitors were running above ambient (35 C in an ambient 20 C). The rest were at ambient. Sure enough, these were indeed leaking when measured out of circuit. This was by far the quickest way to assess those hot components without getting fingers burned (literally) or shocked, and may save a fair bit of time...

You can get these things from Amazon; a quick web search will find one for you. Mine is a Digitron, the attached picture is for a Silverline 633726 Infrared Thermometer at £22.25, but I'm sure there are others.

Hope this is useful....

Mark

By the way; the cat has great fun chasing the beam around, and the cooker and fridge have been recalibrated too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41W874za7-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	43026  
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:05 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hot and bothered?

As I see it, this wouldn't be reliable on old radios. Let's say I was checking the temperature of 'that' cap; how would I know the reading wasn't being affected by heat from the o/p valve, mains dropper or whatever?

Perhaps the laser beam is so focussed that the reading wouldn't be confused by heat from other nearby sources?

But reliable or not, to me this gadget whitewashes over the traditional skills involved in suspecting/tracing and replacing dodgy components and thus rather removes much of the interest from the hobby.

Sorry to poo poo. Others may not agree though.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:18 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

My understanding is that the measurement is done in a very selective area, so would probably be fine for the purpose suggested.

As I see it, it could be a very useful extra tool in the repair arsenal - also good for solid state stuff - Who hasn't ever "barbecued" their finger on a hot IC or tranny when trying to isolate "that hot smell" ?
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:22 pm   #4
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
how would I know the reading wasn't being affected by heat from the o/p valve, mains dropper or whatever?
In the same way that you would know if you put a finger on it!

I think it's an excellent suggestion. Just because our wirelesses are museum pieces, doesn't mean our diagnostic methods should be antediluvean too.

Regards,
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:31 pm   #5
TuningIndicator
Retired Dormant Member

We've got some of these at work, and I sometimes bring one home when the need arises.
Very useful for measuring heatsinks and transistor temperatures.
The ones at work are FLUKE branded.
Very accurate, and not affected by background temperature.

I agree with Dave above.
I often think of the way Ed China repairs classic cars on Wheeler Dealers, he uses modern tools and equipment to repair old cars.
I may be repairing a 50-year old radio, but I have no qualms in using modern tools and equipment to get it going again.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:31 pm   #6
medge799
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
...Perhaps the laser beam is so focussed that the reading wouldn't be confused by heat from other nearby sources?...
The beam focus is not as pin-point as the laser; it varies with distance, but its pretty sharp when close. On mine the ratio is 1:8 (eg a 1 inch beam at 8 inches, or 1 cm at 8cm if you prefer).

For me its a safety thing; I can find out whether that transformer is hot *before* it starts to smell hot, and I don't have to touch anything. The caps are almost always on the other side of the chassisto the valves, and so are relatively easy to assess.

Ta,
Mark
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:32 pm   #7
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I have used these for diagnostics, mainly in big commercial catering equipment, very handy, quickly show overheating terminals, relays, even bearings on motors etc.

Like all tools, they have their uses, and quicker and safer than sticking you finger in

Richard
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:35 pm   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

Darren,

The laser is nothing to do with it; it's just a pointer to give you a clue where the focus of the centre of the IR optics are...

These things are absolutely great - I've had mine for about 6 years now and wouldn't be without it. Like any tool you need to learn how to get the best from it, and you obviously need to interpret the readings.

One critical thing to understand is the spot size. For the cheaper ones it tends to be 6:1, which means from 6 inches away, it will be sampling a circle 1 inch in diameter. You can obviously get much closer, and by moving it around when sampling you can easily find "hot spots" in components as small as a BC108. The more expensive ones give you smaller spots - IIRC my Fluke is 8:1.

Another factor is the emissivity of the material, and the basic ones are fixed in this regard (IIRC, it's 0.95). More expensive models let you alter this, so accounting for different materials and surface finishes. Funnily enough, copper doesn't emit IR at the same rate as most metals (even chromed fittings), so using it for checking your central heating means that you need to wrap black tape around bare copper pipes. Once you've done that, it's really handy.

I've even used it to measure the temperature of walls in the cellar to prove that the damp walls were a victim of condensation rather than "rising damp".

In short: buy one. Even the very cheapest ones are worth considering
Old 21st Nov 2010, 8:45 pm   #9
JimMac53
Hexode

Sorry, Darren, I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't know why you think it replaces traditional methods. It doesn't replace traditional methods, it adds another weapon in the arsenal. I think it's a great idea.

Mark, thanks for a great suggestion.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 11:02 pm   #10
Tim
Dekatron

I never thought one of these could be so inexpensive. I'll put it on my Santa list.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 11:13 pm   #11
KeithsTV
Nonode

We have these at work but they have 2 lasers and give the most accurate reading when the 2 beams coincide, as in the dambusters. As has been said the emissivity of the surface will affect the reading, we tend to put a spot of tippex on the part under investigation and use the lasers to focus on the spot to get a more accurate reading.

We also have a thermal camera which when pointed at a processor with a spot of tippex on shows very clearly the effect of the different emissivity. I don't thing I'd be able to borrow the camera as it cost around £30,000 when new.

Keith
Old 21st Nov 2010, 11:54 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I bought one some months ago for balancing the radiators after our CH boiler had been replaced. Maplin had them reduced from £44 to £20 so it was an impulse buy. Although I bought mine for that purpose, they're certainly handy for checking thermal runaway or to see if the temperature of a transformer has stabilised, and so on. Maplin have since discontinued the model that I bought, (which doesn't have a maker's logo on it) and the replacement is actually cheaper. The range is from -35 C to +230C. the display can be in degrees C or F.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220790.

As has been said, the laser is only for aiming purposes - the actual infra red beam is from a 2cm diameter lens. It follows that the closer to the object, the narrower will be the beam, just as with say a torch. A google search turned up several makes and models from a range of suppliers cheap enough to be a 'stocking filler'!

David
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 3:38 pm   #13
threeseven
Octode

I'm always intending to buy one of these, this thread has convinced me to do it !

Has anyone done any valve operating temp work with one ?
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 5:09 pm   #14
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
the actual infra red beam is from a 2cm diameter lens
To or from?

I have sometimes wished I could measure component temperature. I did have a thermocouple range on an old DVM but I could never be certain that the junction was at the temperature I was trying to measure. I didn't realise these IR guns were so cheap. I want one too!
Old 25th Nov 2010, 12:14 am   #15
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

A brilliant suggestion. However whilst it will identify leaking decoupling capacitors it would probably not identify "that" capacitor, which is unlikely to dissipate significant power even when leaky - but we all replace "that" capacitor on sight before applying any power, don't we?!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 25th Nov 2010, 10:35 am   #16
Jonster
Heptode

I have a Fluke one and would not be without it. Useful for finding short circuits on PCBs as well when debugging new equipment, connectors with high resistance (volt drop causes heat and you can identify the actual pin concerned), and for automotive use pinpointing blockage in car radiators due to uneven temperature gradients. An essential part of the modern toolkit.
Closed Thread