UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2011, 1:20 am   #1
paulsherwin

Default Cheap batteries in Poundstretcher, Poundland, B&M etc.

I was in a branch of Poundstretcher in Stoke over the weekend (actually the new Burslem branch in the derelict Woolworths) and noticed they were selling cards of 8 3V lithium batteries for 99p. Each card contains 4*CR2032, 2*CR2016 and 2*CR2025. These batteries are all the same diameter and differ only in thickness. I bought a couple of cards, initially to make a 15V battery for my AVO 8.

They were also selling two PP3s for 49p. I can't vouch for the quality but if OK they are a cheap source of PP3s for people making up 90V HT batteries.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 1:38 pm   #2
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Re: Cheap batteries in Poundstretcher

Just a note in point, B&M stores also have these large packs of el-cheapo batteries (lithium and Zinc-carbon).

The 9v and AA packs are rubbish, but still more than adequate for making HT batteries at that price.

Dave.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 1:57 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The AA, C and D cells sold in B&M are indeed complete rubbish. I bought a pack a while ago and they started leaking almost immediately. I subsequently had a close look in the store and some of them were leaking on display! The Poundstretcher ones were a different 'brand' but they still looked pretty dodgy, though they were certainly very cheap.

I haven't seen alkaline or lithium button cells in B&M for a few months now, but that may just be down to the branches I've visited.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 6:56 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder how many of these batteries are 'pirated' ones? I.e. using name such as Duracell when they are anything but Duracell.

Last week I lent my daughter a digital camera and she bought some supposed Duracell AA ones from a 'pound' shop. They wouldn't even charge the flash in the camera while rechargeables work fine and this isn't the first time i've come across the problem.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 4:40 pm   #5
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

There ok for testing stuff but dont leave them in your equipment as they will leak, there zinc jackets are wafer thin, so much so you can squeeze them in your hand with little effort. They go under the name of Supercell, I have also seen Duracell in the cheap shops but there on an orange coloured card, i dont think these are real Duracell as the packing card is different, i liked the kodak batterys at poundstretcher but now for some reason they stopped selling them. Stick with the Panasonic ones as alot of places sell the alkaline ones cheap.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 4:49 pm   #6
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

Poundland sell the Kodak branded Alkaline batteries here. I use them for my digital camera and find them very good.

Rob
Old 18th Jun 2011, 4:59 pm   #7
paulsherwin

I've never had any problems with cheap alkalines. They do vary in performance and shelf life but I've never bought any that I would class as unacceptable. It's the very cheap zinc carbon batteries that are the ones to avoid.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 9:39 am   #8
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cheap batteries in Poundstretcher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Ul.../dp/B000IWW1G6

These are a better type for digital cameras that take AA cells, and this is about the cheapest I have found with free shipping. The so called four plus two free are not such good value as each works out the same as the 4 pack. the 4 pack just over £1 about the same as alkalines but last much longer and are much lighter.

Most of these cameras have a setting for either alkaline or rechargeable, for these it is set to alkaline. I have not tried the discharge function for rechargeables, can't see how that would work without overheating the camera.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 10:17 am   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Ul...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Just found these which do work out slightly cheaper per cell, have placed an order!
Old 19th Jun 2011, 10:52 am   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Timed out so can't add to above, just to add if you have an account with Amazon DON’T use the 'One Click' ordering as this automatically charges shipping even if it said free shipping, just use the Add to Basket button.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 12:13 pm   #11
Jonster
Heptode

Another recommendation for the Kodak branded Alkalines available from Poundland. They last just as long in my handheld GPS as Duracells and you get 6 AA or AAA for a pound.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 3:15 pm   #12
davegsm82
Heptode

We've had those energiser lithium cells, and to be brutally honest, they're useless in high drain applications. I think the Camera they were in lasted all of about 10-15 shots with flash before the camera shut down.

We did find however that in moderate drain applications, they were superb. Lasting 2-3 times longer than equivalent duracells.

Horses for courses I'd say, dry cells are useless in camera's. Ni-Mh and even Ni-Cd's are better in my opinion.

Dave.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 3:26 pm   #13
Neil Purling
Nonode

I have at least four sets of Ni-Mh AA cells for my digi-compact. I have never used anything else after the same experience as Dave. So then......... What's my best option in PP3's for making up a HT battery?
Old 19th Jun 2011, 3:33 pm   #14
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegsm82 View Post
We've had those energiser lithium cells, and to be brutally honest, they're useless in high drain applications. I think the Camera they were in lasted all of about 10-15 shots with flash before the camera shut down.
Dave.
You must have had a duff set or a fault in your camera, my ones are showing no sign of failing and have taken dozens of pictures, all with the display turned on with flash and face recongnition which uses more power. Are you sure they where not ordinary energizer cells.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 5:52 pm   #15
paulsherwin

It does depend on the camera. The power requirements vary a lot, especially in terms of peak current. A very high peak current can be a real battery killer.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 6:10 pm   #16
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

What about these for +90V HT on Battery valve radio?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Pro...ref=pd_cp_ce_3

I've found my Fujifilm A345 finepix is a disaster on Alkalines. I've gone back to rechargables. But avoiding the 2700mA AA as they go flat in two weeks via self discharge. The 1800 to 2000mA AA seem better.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 8:02 pm   #17
davegsm82
Heptode

It was definately those Ultimate Lithium ones as on the Amazon auction. The question did pop into my mind just how and why the 'Lithium' bit is present, but I never pursued it further.

We had 2 packs of them, from different (reputable) places, one of these was a seller on Amazon.

They lasted slightly longer in my Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10 than they did in my partners Samsung 7MP job, but that is probably due to having the LCD disabled while the flash charges on my camera.

As for cheap HT Batteries, personally I recon the cheap PP3's are the best option. They might not last as long as duracells but i've had packs of 3 for £1, and for most applications they were fine, they tend not to leak as catastrophically as AAA to D size cells either. HT Drain is very low even for a Cheap PP3.

Dave.
Old 20th Jun 2011, 11:53 am   #18
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
Might be worth looking at this charts, the blue lithium compared with the grey alkaline.

I use two lithium's in a Fuji which has 3Watts battery drain according to the spec, and an older Olympus camera that takes four cells. The Fuji camera has to be set to alkaline and not rechargeable. But we are drifting off the original subject of button cells and cheap PP3's. For HT purposes ordinary zinc/chloride PP3's would be good enough.
http://www.kitronik.co.uk/index.php/...de-battery-9v/

Last edited by geofy; 20th Jun 2011 at 12:11 pm.
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:47 am   #19
Jonster
Heptode

My only concern with cheap batteries is how long they last without leaking. Yesterday I bought a mint Roberts R727 at the local car boot for £3, it was working fine on the 6 Duracell C cells fitted, when I got it home and checked the batteries they had an expiry date of 1994 and no signs of any leakage whatsoever! They were a bit down on voltage though... I will be happy if the Kodak ones from Poundland last half as long!

Worst AA's I have come across were some Philips branded alkaline ones bought from Robert Dyas over Xmas and they started leaking within a month of use. Utter rubbish.
Old 11th Jul 2011, 12:36 pm   #20
davegsm82
Heptode

Old duracells really are exceptional.

I work in a hospital and have been involved in the partial shutdown of an old site, I keep happening upon old pieces of equipment in drawers and cupboards which have old cells inside, fortunately a lot of them either don't work and haven't leaked, or still work on batteries 10-12 years out of date!

Sadly, new batteries aren't anywhere near as hardy, worldwide metal shortages/price hikes/people's demand for cheapness have meant that they use thinner casings, as a consequence they erode quicker (as mentioned earlier, sometimes before they leave the shop).

Dave.
Closed Thread