UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2008, 9:50 pm   #61
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: NVCF 2008 - 11th May

Agreed - Excellent day and well done to the people who organised it! Especially, thanks to Jeffrey and Dave for manning the Bring and Buy all day! I know that our Webmaster on here was on Security as I went in. That can be an awful job as you can't do that and buy stuff at the same time!

I went home with plenty stuff, and there's a Murphy TV (Get down, Mike! It's mine...) coming this week.

Sean - Yes I do want that Murphy - Harpenden?

Met some faces old and new. It's going from strength to strength is this event, and it's now at a much better venue.

I still have a rubber band round my ne....sorry wrist. Dilys had the car full before we came, as we had a short holiday in North Wales before driving cross country.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th May 2008, 10:35 pm   #62
SteveJM
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
A

I still have a rubber band round my ne....sorry wrist. Dilys had the car full before we came, as we had a short holiday in North Wales before driving cross country.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Yes, still have mine, wasn't sure that you had to return them, but I always have uses for rubber bands. Excellent day out, noticed the revamped entrance which is much more better. Had a lovely drive back down the Fosse Way. Didn't buy much as storage space is a bit short at the moment, brought some components and a couple of books. Enjoyed the mechanical music display.
Old 11th May 2008, 10:40 pm   #63
ianj
Heptode

Default NVCF 2008 - 11th May

Hi everyone,

Well, I saw an avometer, model avo8 in green marblised bakelite, never seen another one, so had to have it! ianj

Last edited by Darren-UK; 11th May 2008 at 10:51 pm. Reason: Continuity purposes.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:11 pm   #64
ajs37
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJM View Post
Had a lovely drive back down the Fosse Way.
Oh no Steve! - I had a lovely drive down the Fosse Way to Bristol - you had a lovely drive UP the Fosse way to Nottingham!

It's a great road though, isn't it?
Old 12th May 2008, 7:59 am   #65
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

A great day out. Met many pals there - might have met a few new faces as well, but I think it was so big and so busy, that I missed a quite a few. Spotted jay oldstuff in the distance.
We arrived about 10:30 - my intention was to have a quick whizz round, then help at the B&B, but after the said whizz round, it was 12:30 and I needed to rendezvous with Sean and Andy (ajs37) to load up some stuff; then it was lunchtime, and nearly time to head back up the Fosse Way towards the Tripe Curtain, as Jeffrey calls it.

Both of the items I brought soon went - a bit more for the Museum proceeds.

As always - in the warm light of day when we got back, I pondered - "should have bought that" and "should have taken these down for the B&B".

'Twas ever thus. Next year ...
Old 12th May 2008, 8:04 am   #66
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Superb day out, I too managed to put a lot of faces to names.

I did however come back with more items than I took. (but they are smaller!)

I came away with a large Philips stereo set, a B6X12A/19. It's a monster! but the data isn't on Pauls CD and nor is it in the R&TV service books
I also bought a KB PB10FM table FM set in good nick, a frequency counter, a NOS UM80, 2 metres of silicone rubber coated cable in all colours, an HV multi section electrolytic and I think thats aboutit.

I also donated 3 items to the bring and buy stall to generate money for the vintage wireless museum and I'm pleased to say they sold!

A big thankyou to all involved for this event, Absolutely superb!!

Cheers
Lee
Old 12th May 2008, 9:01 am   #67
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I visited the NVCF for the first time, yesterday. Although itn was really too nice a day, and too hot to be indoors I spent about 2 hours browsing around. Didn't buy much - a few vavleholders and some CDs, but the exhibits were fascinating.
Old 12th May 2008, 9:56 am   #68
igranic
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
I came away with a large Philips stereo set, a B6X12A/19. It's a monster!

Cheers
Lee
Lee,

You have a PM re schematic.

Edward
Old 12th May 2008, 10:08 am   #69
newlite4
Octode

How do you do it! Absolutely brilliant, all-in-all a very professionally organised event, even the sun came out to join in, thanks to all involved.
Concious of limited space at home, I came away with an Arvin "mighty mite" metal radio, a Sinclair Microvision and two miniature bakelite test meters for the shelf.
The event definately had a summer fete atmosphere what with the fairground organ and ice creams, the only possible improvement would have been for the roof of the hall to have been removeable .
Neil
Old 12th May 2008, 10:28 am   #70
ianm
Hexode

I attended the NVCF for the first time in its new setting and was very much impressed. I'd like to express my thanks to the organisers and helpers, who made the day such a great occasion.

It was good to meet up with a few friends and also to make some new ones. However, judging by today's postings, there were clearly quite a few forum members present who I didn't manage to identify and say "hello" to, but there's always a next time.

I cleverly managed to resist buying all sorts of things that I don't really need, but did succumb to the charms of a 1933 Murphy A4, in rather respectable condition. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	murphya4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	17106  

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 12th May 2008, 11:43 am   #71
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJM View Post
Yes, still have mine, wasn't sure that you had to return them, but I always have uses for rubber bands.
No, we didn't want them back! The few that were returned went in the bin.

Next year it will be something different, or different coloured rubber bands, so don't keep it in the home of getting in free with it next year!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2008, 12:22 pm   #72
dominicbeesley
Octode

Disaster!

Once again I failed to make it to the NVCF, this time my car engine expired on the M6 leaving me plenty of time to get a nice sun-tan whilst waiting for the AA (four hours in waiting + 3 hours in the tow-truck!) I was really looking forward to it too!

I was supposed to pick up a load of parts that I'd requested from a very nice man called Michael who had a stall at Cowbit (tallish, white hair, RAF moustache). Does anybody have contact details for him. He did give me a small card which I've lost, as I'd arranged to pick the stuff up yesterday.

Dom
Old 12th May 2008, 3:35 pm   #73
Dave Moll
Dekatron

May I also add my thanks to Brian and Helen who provided an enormous amount of assistance on the Bring & Buy stall, helping to make it the success which it undoubtedly was.

As well as an opportunity to collect a number of items from forum members, I did take the opportunity of buying a number of items from the Bring and Buy. I shall list them when I have had a chance to sort through that which got unloaded from the car last night into a heap in the store room.

Although I did have a quick browse round the rest of the Fair, the only things I bought there were a few minor telephone parts.
Old 12th May 2008, 7:29 pm   #74
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Dom,

You mean Mike Lewis - Give Chas at the Radiophile a call - he has the number! - failing that I will be seeing him on Sunday at Stockwood Park
Old 12th May 2008, 9:37 pm   #75
igranic
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post

I was supposed to pick up a load of parts that I'd requested from a very nice man called Michael who had a stall at Cowbit (tallish, white hair, RAF moustache). Does anybody have contact details for him. He did give me a small card which I've lost, as I'd arranged to pick the stuff up yesterday.

Dom
I have sent Dominic a private email with Mike's contact details.

Edward
Old 12th May 2008, 10:12 pm   #76
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello well this was the first time but I hope not the last.I was sorely tempted by a lot of things, some McMichael radio's but decided that I didnt have the room (yet). It was great and seeing lots of people which had a happy smile carrying various radio's and other things to the car park was quite something.
Very enjoyable and very good, the weather was good, even if it was a bit too warm for me.
Thank you everyone.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 13th May 2008, 9:30 am   #77
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations to everyone involved in the NVCF on Sunday. It was worth every minute of the 3 1/2 hour round trip and there was so much to see. Within 5 minutes of being there I found an original bakelite knob for my very early Roberts - 1934 - which I was despairing of ever finding. If that was all I bought it would still have been worth it - but of course it wasn't!

Thanks to all

Ray
Old 13th May 2008, 10:09 am   #78
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks to everyone, I've now got Mike's number. I'll give him a call today

Dom
Old 13th May 2008, 10:01 pm   #79
The teleman
Pentode

Default A great day out

It was nice to see a good turnout at the NVCF this year, still very few TVs to purchase on the day, as most seem to sell before the event.

Having said that, I did manage to buy 3 sets, 1 PYE CW17, 2 CTM17F, 3 Thorn 950 mk2 badged "Ultra".
All these sets seem to be untouched.

Hope the organizers keep up the great work & look forward to the next event.

Regards, Chris Field (BVWS member)

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 14th May 2008 at 8:09 am. Reason: Moved post to existing thread and edited S&P
Old 14th May 2008, 6:00 pm   #80
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I did take the opportunity of buying a number of items from the Bring and Buy. I shall list them when I have had a chance to sort through that which got unloaded from the car last night into a heap in the store room.
Astonishingly, once I had sorted out the pile into items:
  • collected from other members
  • purchased from bring and buy
  • that were being binned at the end of the day
... I found that (amazingly) I had bought fewer items than I thought:
  • a Sony Trinitron portable TV for my bedroom
  • an audio signal generator
  • a few bags/boxes of components
But then, a day at the NVCF is far more than just a shopping trip