UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2019, 10:05 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Ship's Clock

You know, that rings a bell (OK, context...) with me, I do remember seeing a "72 minute" clock scale somewhere and being puzzled by it.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 10:09 pm   #22

Quote:
Some numpty...
That is one big oops. When doing a sketch keyboard layout I labelled pause "paws" and print "pint" as a joke. They got through the first stages of graphics like that and I guess would have been made as such without my intervention (breathes sigh of relief). I still wonder how long the customer (MOD) would have taken to spot it?

Old 19th Nov 2019, 2:46 am   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Someday I want to build a clock that counts-down in "Rels", the Rel being the DALEK unit-of-time. Seemingly there were 50 Rels in an Earth Minute.
You have five marine minutes, Troy Tempest!
Old 19th Nov 2019, 7:25 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

The HP Baseband Analyser had, amongst others, a group of keys to select different measurement modes. One was called 'Noise Analysis' but that was too long to go on the keycap. Keycaps were made bearing the legend 'NOISE ANAL'. I kid you not.

It wasn't a mistake. Those managing the project thought it was the correct abbreviation. This makes it much funnier. The 72 minute clocks just seem sad.

David
Old 19th Nov 2019, 9:43 am   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
about the new clocks- they had 72 minutes round the dial. Some numpty had converted five minute spaces between each hour marking into five minute markings between each hour marking when laying out the dial artwork!
A lot of "Vienna regulator" clocks have a seconds dial that's equally daft!

Quote:
A curious thing is the subsidiary 'seconds' dial which is marked for 60 seconds but in most cases only takes 45 seconds for the hand to complete one revolution. This is because, unlike a longcase clock which has a 'seconds' pendulum, the pendulum in a Vienna is shorter and swings every 0.75 seconds.
Taken from: https://www.horologica.co.uk/A_clocks/vienna.html

N.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 7:33 pm   #26
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I was given a backwards clock. An anticlock? the hands run anticlockwise and the numerals are in reverse direction to match.
I have a "backwards" clock in my study/office/junk-room and I love it. I was greatly amused when I noticed that it is apparently made in Ireland. I don't think it would be that much use being looked at in a mirror, as all the numerals would be "back-to-front".
Colin.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 3:03 pm   #27
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Is the backwards dial made to match a forwards dial fitted back to back with common shafts with no reverse gearbox.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 3:08 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

I think the stepper motor is assembled with some parts upside down.

David
Old 24th Nov 2019, 5:55 pm   #29
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes. The asymmetric part is the core plate that goes through the drive coil (normally soldered to the PCB) and which surrounds the magnetised rotor. If you turn it over then the clock will run backwards. There is normally a little hole in the core which fits over a stud moulded into the case so they are assembled correctly at the factory. But if you shave this stud off with a knife blade you can turn the core over and get a backwards clock.

I did that to one of mine about 25 years ago.
Closed Thread