UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2018, 3:52 pm   #1
jim221
Pentode

Default Pioneer SA-708 sound on left channel

My son asked me to look at his amplifier. He complained it was down on one Channel. I took the cover offhand peered inside. No smoke on turning it on and also no sound out of left channel. When moving some wires the sound magically came back. Doddle thinks me, gently moving each one I found the offending one. It was wire wrapped to a terminal and I found that the terminal was loose. Resoldered the terminal and Voila fault fixed.It has a switch which allows you to turn off the bass and treble controls and in the position where it turns off the controls the amp was very noisy. So thinks dirty switch contact so I removed the control board it was on (to be able to squirt stuff on switch) which was not easy and then refitted the control board. That was a good month ago. now I have got almost no sound out of the left channel again.I have obviously caused the problem in moving the board which had stiff connecting wires but how do I find the fault. I have a signal genie but no scopehttps://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/images/editor/color.gif. I have checked all the voltages on the transistors which seem ok. If I put in a signal at the volume control the output signal is definitely louder on the r channel although the l channel is fairly loud. I cannot fathom where the fault is,I got fid of all my test equipment some years ago as I had decided to not spend so much time in my shed. Help please there is a good service manual on hi fi engine.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 3:56 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer SA-708 sound on left channel

probably dry joints - like the first one you found. Wire wrapped pins are often a cause of bad joints to the PCB.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 7:01 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

You should be able to check you have a signal at each part of the circuit with a DMM, it's not the same as a scope though, as you can't see it; use a PC as sig source. Failing that if you fancy a day out you can borrow my bench (sig gen, scope, dummy load, etc).

Andy.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 8:30 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

is this one of those with 2SA798 dual PNP transistors that play up
Old 7th Nov 2018, 9:08 am   #5
Mooly
Octode

Does this amp use speaker relays ? If so then they can be a source of trouble, typically low distorted sound that 'clears' as you turn the volume up... until next time.
Closed Thread