UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:30 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default Weller WECP Temtronic bit advice please

I have recently obtained a used Weller WECP Temtronic soldering iron. This unit can be set to a wide range of temperatures by adjusting a pot on the front panel, rather than by changing the bit as in the older TCP range that I have used for more than 50 years. I would like to obtain another, larger chisel bit for the WECP, for heavier work.

The heating element on the iron is identified as an ECP. I am having trouble specifying the bit type as my searches for ECP tips do not come up with bits (tips) that look correct.

I have attached photos of the base unit, label and the iron, bit and holder. I wonder if anyone recognises it and has the correct information to specify the bit type.

Thanks

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WECP-Temtronic-base-unit_web.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	172510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base-unit-label_web.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	172511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip-and-holder_web.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	172512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iron-close-up_web.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	172513  

Last edited by ronbryan; 9th Nov 2018 at 2:35 pm. Reason: Iron close-up photo added
Old 9th Nov 2018, 3:51 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Weller WECP Temtronic bit advice please

The element end of the bit is hollow and a probe from the soldering iron element tube slips inside and possibly senses the temperature.

Ron
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:27 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

It looks like my old Weller Thermolock iron tip. Yes the sensor slips just inside the end of the tip.

A quick google shows the 'ET' series bits offered as suitable for the LR 21, FE 50, WEC, thermolock, EC2000 and EC2100 irons, so presumably any of those would fit.

https://uk.farnell.com/weller/et-b/t...-4mm/dp/416770
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:32 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

If this is the model I think it is I seem to remember that it takes bits that are virtually identical in size to the TCP bits but without the magnetic slug and a deeper hole for the sensor to fit.

I think these may be the type :- https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/tools-pro...ange=et-series

I have a couple of 4ETP-1 bits bought in error which you could have to prove the point if you like.

Last edited by barrymagrec; 9th Nov 2018 at 4:41 pm. Reason: corrected link
Closed Thread