UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2018, 11:51 pm   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Philips N4408 wheel ?

OK I got the replacement belts for this machine , I got 3 belts in the kit but there appear to only be 2 in the deck but anyway , there is this wheel (see pic) its really confusing me as to A) what it is and B) how it works . Its got no rubber on it but it has a groove in it like it should have , but the manual doesnt show it with any , anyone know ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	171815  
Old 30th Oct 2018, 12:25 am   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4408 wheel ?

That is the idler wheel. It's the take-up idler and should run against the clutch (underneath the right-hand turntable). The outer surface (the semi-transparent bit) is I think made of neoprene and should feel rubbery. It runs against the clutch disc. It shouldn't have a groove in it...the surface should be smooth and flat. Don't know where you would get a replacement now. However it may clean up OK and have enough grip to run against the clutch disc without slipping. If it does slip you will get tape looping (you will also get looping if the clutch isn't working properly.

The third belt will probably be for the main capstan flywheel underneath the deck. I think you will have to lift the deck out completely to get to it.
Old 30th Oct 2018, 12:36 am   #3
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

no it definitely has a groove in it bud, its rock hard too , I will put an o`ring on it that should cure it , thanks for your input .

the capstan is working just fine so i`ll leave that for now until i get the tyre for the idler wheel (its on route)
Old 30th Oct 2018, 12:49 am   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

It may have a groove now but it shouldn't have one and it shouldn't be rock-hard! Pity I gave half a dozen of these idlers away last year to a tape recorder enthusiast....they were ex-stock from years ago when I worked at Philips and the service department closed down.
Old 30th Oct 2018, 1:02 am   #5
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

hehe , thats how my luck always rolls hehe. I think i can get an o-ring on there to do what it needs i have many of them of all different sizes , so fingers crossed .
Old 1st Nov 2018, 2:41 pm   #6
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK i got the rubber , this unit definitely doesnt use the third belt , the capstan is driven using a idler wheel . There are no belts on the underside at all . I`m having an issue now where the tape plays fine for 10 or so seconds and then progressively gets slower , normally I would head straight for the run caps but on this its totally foreign to me inside I guess recapping the power supply would be a good place to start though . Any one suggest anything please ?

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 1st Nov 2018 at 2:48 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 3:15 pm   #7
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK i think I found the caps I was looking for , they threw me because they are really small . 2.5uf 350v and its the size of a 220uf 35 today and a 32uf 250v the size of a 1000uf 50 . weird . I`ll have to order some in , so on the shelf it goes for a few more days .

On thing I will say though this thing sounds incredible !

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 1st Nov 2018 at 3:28 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 4:20 pm   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

yup just discovered a popped cap so thats the issue here (32uf 250v one ) ...
Closed Thread