UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2016, 9:06 pm   #1
Aristotle
Tetrode

Default Roberts R707 logo

Hallo to everyone - my first post.

I have a R707 bought recently as a not working example - several hours later after the application of some of Maplins finest cleaners both switch and surface it's now pretty gorgeous and working brilliantly - - plus what a great sound !

I want to gradually improve my new friend would like to re-silver the logo (it's an earlier model serial is only 2355)

I notice the silver is only applied to the top surface of the logo so don't want to spray the whole thing can anyone recommend a method to resurface the top of the logo.

Also what paint to use.

Would be happy to post some photo's of my pride and joy if someone could tell me how.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 9:03 am   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Roberts R707 logo

Hi. I have tried many different paint types on these but have yet to find a 'real' chrome finish. I gently prise the badges out with a bit of heat applied to the rear plastic pegs with an old soldering iron. Give it a good clean then a coat of plastic primer. Finish off with a top coat once the primer is dry. I use Plasticote metallic silver. Give it a couple of coats and leave to dry. Make sure it's really dry before refitting as if not from my experience you will leave a nice thumb print on it.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 10:05 am   #3
Aristotle
Tetrode

Radiocruncher - thank you for your help - I think I may have caught the "bug" I've now got another one coming !

I'd like to try my hand with a Hacker but they seem very "premium priced" even in not working condition - I'll just keep looking.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 10:56 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

I used aluminium foil to replicate the shiny surface finish of the centrally mounted type of badge on one of the early 707s that have found their way to my place over the years.
I just ironed a suitable rectangle of foil until I could no longer detect wrinkles and then painted some superglue onto the face of the lettering, which I then inverted and pushed firmly down onto the foil, holding for around ten seconds. Then, once the glue has secured all of the foil to the faces of the letters, gently but without hesitating too ofetn, scrape a finger nail (or the edge of the type of plectrum that is used for opening laptop shells or prising up the emi sheets prior to performing battery swaps in monocoque smartphones of the type with "non-removeable" batteries such as the all polycarbonate HTC OneX) around the edge of each letter, taking care not to scrape at the faces of the letters and, once you're happy that the "plating" has taken properly and hasn't left any unsightly gaps or excess foil beyond the faces, give the foil a careful rub, working in one direction several times but under no circumstances rubbing in the other direction.
Once you're happy with the finish, give the whole badge a single, very fine scoosh of acrylic clearcoat of the type sold by car accessory shops for finishing touchups to paintwork and leave that on a piece of wood, cork or similar, with holes predrilled to take the badge's pins. After at least six hours, the badge will, if you got the glue right by quantity and distribution, be fit to put back up to the radio's upper front panel whence it came.

Last edited by GJR 11L; 26th Feb 2016 at 11:01 pm. Reason: Removed some formatting.
Old 27th Feb 2016, 9:10 am   #5
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
I'd like to try my hand with a Hacker but they seem very "premium priced" even in not working condition
Hackers are in my opinion the best British sets ever made. Dynatron are a close second but I'm sure everyone has their personal favourites. Its well worth scouring the car boot sales as that's where I picked up my first Hacker. In fact that's the radio that started it all off for me as it was in need of complete restoration. Happy hunting and good luck with the Roberts.

Graham
Old 27th Feb 2016, 12:18 pm   #6
Andrewausfa
Octode

Have you looked at Alclad II Chrome? You would need an airbrush (artists not a car sprayer!) which might be a bridge too far but it works exceptionally well.

Some of the Japanese made artists metallic marker pens are quite good if you can get a Xylene based one these days.

Andrew
Old 28th Feb 2016, 7:34 pm   #7
Aristotle
Tetrode

Graham - that's encouraging about Hacker - I'll keep looking.

For this first one think I'll go with Plastikote silver effect - John, your use of foil is impressive but a bit too far a step for me at the moment.

Thanks to all for your help.

David.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:14 am   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I don't know if it is the same item but Roberts on their web site have R707 badges available as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	120945  
Old 5th Mar 2016, 9:57 am   #9
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I don't know if it is the same item but Roberts on their web site have R707 badges available as a spare.
Just had a look but can't seem to get this part to come up on the website.
Old 5th Mar 2016, 10:00 am   #10
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Strange as it came up second time. Thanks for the tip off.
Old 5th Mar 2016, 10:22 am   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
I notice the silver is only applied to the top surface of the logo so don't want to spray the whole thing can anyone recommend a method to resurface the top of the logo.
Try this it's not cheap, more a Nickel finish, but the best finish I have found.
www.bosny.com
Old 5th Mar 2016, 1:25 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Would be happy to post some photo's of my pride and joy if someone could tell me how.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650
Closed Thread