UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2018, 12:34 am   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Akai GX-77 cap list

Just wondered if anyone in their archives had a capacitor list for this machine ? , I just landed and absolute mint condition one and I want to re-cap it with top quality caps before I service it and put it up for sale I paid a good amount for it but I just couldn`t believe how clean it was (see pics ) I don`t think there is going to be a massive profit in it but to be honest I bought it to make it a stunning machine more than i did to make money , its SO nice i may even find it hard to let this one go ! Believe me , the pics look great , but in the flesh , its STUNNING.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	171854   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	171855   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (10).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	171856   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (11).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	171857   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	171858  

Old 1st Nov 2018, 3:40 am   #2
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Akai GX-77 cap list

its ok i got the caps list sorted , does anyone know where i can get a set of instructions for the relay mod for these ? I`m trying to figure it out but im getting confused about it and i really cant afford to mess it up

i get that the power for the relay board goes across the motor , i get that the input voltage is -5v , but im confused as to whats connected to the NO , I get that the NC is connected to the opposite motor, but whats the NO connected too ?
Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:55 pm   #3
MeerKat
Hexode

Hi Dave,

On ebay is advertised a relay kit, follow the listing down, there is a link to the vendors site, follow this and you will find a tutorial on how to install the kit.

Just had another snout, here's the link

https://sites.google.com/a/castelose...kai-gx-77-mod/

Go to No.3 the mod kit

Illegitimi non carborundum

Last edited by MeerKat; 7th Nov 2018 at 11:03 pm. Reason: Checking link
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:01 pm   #4
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Thanks Andrew much appreciated , I`m going to try the official Akai fix first but , you just change a few resistors , I`ll see how that goes and if that doesnt help it along I will look in to relay mod a bit further .

thanks bud
David
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:06 pm   #5
MeerKat
Hexode

What is the official Akai mod?

The resistor on that little motor board in my machine is not the value as given on the schematic.

Old 8th Nov 2018, 1:09 am   #6
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I havent read the memo in too much detail as yet bud but someone sent me the official memo from Akai which was to change i think its 3 resistors and its supposed to help the issue whether it does or not I have no idea. The darn machine is stuck in transit somewhere 5 days now so I`m praying it was packaged well . Once i read the memo I`ll let you know . Does your suffer the same thing ?
Old 8th Nov 2018, 10:34 pm   #7
MeerKat
Hexode

It's not as bad as some I believe, with 7" reels it will do a whole tape but is very slow toward the end, with 5" reels it stops when it's down to about 1/3" of tape on the feeding reel. I have stripped, cleaned and relubed everything bar the reel drive motors so it's almost certainly weak motors. I've tried putting a switch in series with the resistor/diode across the supply reel motor, that helps a bit but when the reel is going slow the resistor/diode will not be applying much breaking to the reel anyway.

There is a video on utube (Akai GX77 fast spool relay mod by Nick Adams 25 minutes long roughly) about a relay mod, you get a good view of the circuit but watch very carefully when he runs the machine post mod, several times when he stopped the machine from fast winding the tape momentarily went slack and then tightened up with a jerk so more work required me thinks, maybe a lower voltage to the motor, needs investigating more, I can see tapes being damaged as it stands.

As I say I will be interested in the Akai mod and I wouldn't mind a list of the caps to change either.

Last edited by MeerKat; 8th Nov 2018 at 10:37 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old 8th Nov 2018, 10:43 pm   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

The problem is , the motors aren`t made to work on the opposite direction so the non powered spool just drags , and it sounds like yours is as bad as everyone's .mine does the same thing , lubing it wont help .

The official fix is ....

Change R1 on the intermediate boards from a 100ohm 3w metal film to a 150ohm metal film ,

also

change the following on the power supply board...

R1 from 2.2k ohm to 5.6k ohm 1/4w
R2 from 1.5 ohm to 1.2 ohm 1/2w
R3 from 1.3 ohm to 1.2 ohm 1/2w

Whether that is going to make any difference at all I have no idea .

I`m not a fan of the relay mod and I`ve seen it several times . If I have to go that route I will but I will explore every other avenue first I dont think the relay mod does the tape any good really .
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:55 am   #9
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I just got mine on the bench and opened it up and mine already has these resistors in place so it makes no odds . Mine will do a 7" to 7" but put a 7" and a 5" on and its useless . Meh , I can live with that , its just an amazing player . My advice , just love it .lol
Closed Thread