UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2018, 3:32 pm   #41
VT FUSE
Hexode

Default Re: Pre-amp for Golden ears

Well Joe, they were good for 1950'-1980's and maybe a little bit beyond? RAAF Aircraft intercoms which may be of note and were ultra reliable in Canberra and other multi crewed types where vibration was present but clear intercom was paramount.

I have nothing to show now but did make myself a few pre-amps and headphone amps a fair while back and found these near pinnacle of development valves to be an advance on many earlier B9A types.

A quick google for 6112 tubes /microphonics /pre-amplifiers will give you several hours of reading.

I found the Russian gold alloy grid 6n17B-V to be super exotic at a really good price

Last edited by VT FUSE; 19th Mar 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 11:51 pm   #42
joebog1
Banned

That is where I obtained them - RAAF!! When the airforce went digital it dumped millions of dollars worth of stuff into auctions. That's where I get my valves from. I have both pentodes and triodes in that miniature format. The photo I posted is a 5718 triode.

I will do some work using some I think and post my results. It will be good to listen to my Hi-Fi at 60,000 feet too.

Joe
Old 24th Mar 2018, 3:28 am   #43
joebog1
Banned

VT FUSE.

I took your suggestion and have spent a few days watching the rain (yeah, yeah, you have it 300 days a year, WE have 300 days of sunshine a year).

AND reading up on miniature valves. 6112 looks like the ants pantz! Although I have also taken your suggestion and looked at Russian alternatives. $360 US for 10 or $15 dollars US for ten. Go figure and remember, Sputnik was in space first!! I still remember standing on the back verandah as a kid in minus 10 degrees watching a tiny spark flying by.

This forum is a wonderful encyclopedia of knowledge, IF it is biased to eccentric people who love all things bright and beautiful, er and electrically powered, USUALLY with enough grunt to extinguish life if a lazy hand reaches the wrong little solder tag, while holding the chassis still with the other hand.

We now have two BIG storms approaching, one from the east, and one from the north west, so I haven't ordered any yet as I might not have anywhere to store them, or experiment if the house falls down ( or blows away )

Again I thank you for the insight!!

Joe
Closed Thread