UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2005, 4:32 pm   #1
Courtney Louise
Octode

Question Philips N7150 Power Switch

Hi Guys,

I have recently aquired a nice condition Philips N7150, not sure what the quality of these late philips machines are like compares to Akais etc but thought I would take a chance. Problem is the power switch wont stay pressed.

Does any one have one or know of a part that might fit to make it work again, and also I have no illumination lamps in the meters, are these a standard type and voltage?

Having no manual I was wondering if the 2 sets of line inputs on the back are of different levels or impedances and whats the multiplay socket for? I have tried one of my old beatles original tapes in it and it really does seem to play too loud even through decent Sonab headphones (I did adjust the headphone volume) and I was wondering whether this is because of the fact its a half track mono tape and the 4 track stereo head is getting over driven from the old signals? (please tell me if I am talking pants here, just figured maybe its like fitting a quart into a pint pot and getting bleed over the edges).

I do have an old valved Marconiphone half track mono one to play those on tho so its not an issue.

OK I think I have warbled long enough.

Thanks in Anticipation

Andi B

Last edited by mikelect; 10th Oct 2005 at 8:53 pm.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 5:35 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N7150 Power Switch

This is a common problem with Philips switches, I've had the same thing on my GF212/312 turntables.

I repaired one with a similar switch from a scrap Philips reel-to-reel, and the other with a Japanese ALPS switch, ex an old Sony TV with a low emission tube.

So I'd say your best bet is to use one from a scrapped TV, or maybe one from one of the brown goods spares companies e.g. Wiltsgrove: http://213.123.251.244/genie/subcate...ategoryID=1300

Finding the right one might be tricky, though I suspect one designed to fit a contemporary Philips telly might be worth a gamble. Their reference for one for the KT3 TV chassis is SW-12, and the Sony one I used is similar to SW-30A or C (depending on the mounting hole centres), or you could try the "universal" Sony one, SW-40P.

Wiltsgrove are in a huge, subterranean warehouse in Digbeth, behind a 6" thick steel door! They're quite efficient although I found their sales staff extremely rude on the occasion I visited. Over the phone though, their staff have been nothing but delightful

Good luck,
Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 10th Oct 2005 at 5:42 pm.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 8:51 pm   #3
Courtney Louise
Octode

Thanks Nick, luckily when I got the player the switch had already been removed so I can try and match one up.

Thanks again

Andi
Old 10th Oct 2005, 9:03 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Andi.

I remember something about these having repaired a few when I was in the Philips workshop in the late 70's. They are by no means a professional recorder but work well enough. They were considered good Hi Fi machines. The main problem as I recall was the strange 'verticle' type pinch roller....when you press play, it rises up from the chassis and then moves forward...the plastic used to split and it lost it's tension causing the tape to slip. Other than that, they were quite good albeit a bit 'plasticy'.

Rich.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 9:43 pm   #5
Courtney Louise
Octode

Plasticy... Very, I can carry it round with one finger. Through headphones now I have recorded and played back from my iPod and it doesnt sound too bad at 7.5ips. The input signal tho on the VU's nowhere near matches the playback monitoring from the three head monitor. The playback it almost 2.5db lower.

Odd huh...

Andi
Old 11th Oct 2005, 8:55 am   #6
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

At the risk of straying from the original power switch problem...

All that has been said about the plastic construction is spot on - if the pinch wheel assembly does crack or disintegrate (and it probably will) all is not lost as with enough patience you can bridge the assembly with a metal plate.

The level should match well between source and tape - so assuming you are using good tape, and given what you say about your Beatles tape, it sounds as if there is a problem. I have the service manual if you need it!

One further thing - clean the contacts in the mode switch - this logic controlled deck is similar to a vcr - things go mighty haywire if contacts are lost here!

Despite the construction the unit is capable of very pleasing recordings.

Good luck,
Stewart
Closed Thread