UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 22nd Jan 2024, 4:30 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Cassette tape problems

Hi. Does anyone know how to clean up a pre recorded cassette tape? As well as jamming in parts, I also discovered that it had at one stage fallen in to some oily substance. It would be great if some solution could be found as it was a gift from some friends in The Netherlands.
Many thanks
Mike
telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 10:33 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Cassette tape problems

Unless it's a Metal type tape it can probably be safely cleaned with a suitable solvent like IPA but it can be tricky work. I managed to clean a cassette tape of WD40 sprayed onto it but only with special techniques. I guess the obvious question is whether the cost of the work would be justified.
TIMTAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 11:33 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

If it is a pre-recorded (commercial album), you would be well advised to just find another copy somewhere like ebay.

Usually once oil has got on the tape, it's finished. There is no easy or quick cleaning procedure - unlike reel to reel tape, which is more robust and easily-accessible, cassette tape will likely crease if you try to clean it during a fast wind. Then there's the shell which will retain grease in its nooks and crannies.

If the content is unique and irreplaceable, some kind of recovery could perhaps be justified; otherwise - life's too short.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:38 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
If it is a pre-recorded (commercial album), you would be well advised to just find another copy somewhere like ebay.

Usually once oil has got on the tape, it's finished. There is no easy or quick cleaning procedure - unlike reel to reel tape, which is more robust and easily-accessible, cassette tape will likely crease if you try to clean it during a fast wind. Then there's the shell which will retain grease in its nooks and crannies.

If the content is unique and irreplaceable, some kind of recovery could perhaps be justified; otherwise - life's too short.
Hi It is a pre recorded cassette tape. A great shame, really. However the record company did release the group's tracks on to compact disc a while ago.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 4:39 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
Unless it's a Metal type tape it can probably be safely cleaned with a suitable solvent like IPA but it can be tricky work. I managed to clean a cassette tape of WD40 sprayed onto it but only with special techniques. I guess the obvious question is whether the cost of the work would be justified.
Hi. I will bear that technique in mind, many thanks