UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:39 pm   #1
ScottishColin
Octode

Default Non-black IC sockets.

Does anyone have a source for (non-ridiculously expensive) non-black IC sockets?

I've seen white sockets inside my PET and a red socket that someone had previously used to replace a failed chip in one of my disk drives.

I was thinking it might be good/nice in future to mark any work I do with different colour sockets so people can see the old and new differentiated (a bit like building an extension on an old house), but I have only ever seen black sockets available.

Thanks.

Colin.
ScottishColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:47 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Non-black sockets

RS used to do grey ones, though they were the cheaper spring-leaf type and not the nice turned pin ones I preferred.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:54 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Non-black IC sockets.

Try looking for 'Cambion' IC sockets which were often made in red. This seems a departure from your usual practice of trying to keep things looking original, though?
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:59 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

This supplier:

https://richelectronics.co.uk/

...seems to have a lot of NOS sockets including Cambion red and Cambion Blue, as well as Midland Ross in Blue.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 1:14 pm   #5
ScottishColin
Octode

This is true - but I have to replace white sockets with black anyway on my latest PETs, and Commodore in their wisdom used black sockets for non-65xx and ROM devices, so my work and the original work kind of merged.

Thanks for the link to Rich electronics. I'll take a look there,

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Try looking for 'Cambion' IC sockets which were often made in red. This seems a departure from your usual practice of trying to keep things looking original, though?
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:33 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

I have quite a few turned pin 16 way dil Harwin sockets in a fetching green.....
barrymagrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 5:14 pm   #7
Mark1960
Octode

As a 3d printer expert you might print a plastic frame for different socket sizes and then press turned pin socket pins into the printed frame. You can get the turned pin sockets as individual pins or cut the plastic on socket strips to remove the pins. This could give you a source for orange ic sockets. Probably not so easy for the folded contact type, but turned pin type shouldn’t be too difficult. Cost would depend on how you value your time.
Mark1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 5:47 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Isn't the plastic used in 3D printing rather easy to melt, though? Would it withstand the heat of soldering? I've suggested this before, but to be honest I thought I was joking.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:50 pm   #9
ScottishColin
Octode

The 'best' filament that I have experience with the highest temperature is ABS which has a melting point just over 100 degrees.

I have an SLA printer well which I believe will sustain higher temperatures.

I may experiment though to see what happens in reality.

Colin.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 8:09 pm   #10
ScottishColin
Octode

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104621

Colin.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 9:27 pm   #11
Mark1960
Octode

It might be worth a try. The temperature the plastic needs to withstand would be less than the soldering temperature due to temperature gradient across the pin, the pcb would shunt some of this and the soldering time should be quite short. The plastic on the commercial sockets doesn’t withstand the soldering iron temperature for long if applied directly to the pin or the plastic.
Old 15th Feb 2024, 4:13 pm   #12
ScottishColin
Octode

OK. Work in progress. Ignore the horrible colour and the tatty edges - it's the principle right now.

I need to test the temperature resistance when soldering.

I have some Read and White resin which I'll try next.

Then I think I'll knock up some dual leaf sockets rather than the turned pin ones.

Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240215_150114962.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	293002   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240215_150122474.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	293003  
Old 15th Feb 2024, 6:27 pm   #13
Mark1960
Octode

Is the pitch of the printed socket ok? Maybe just the photo but the pins seem to be slightly wider space than the folder contact socket.
Old 15th Feb 2024, 6:34 pm   #14
ScottishColin
Octode

What I need is a PCB with all the right holes in it(I'm sure there are better words than this) for me to measure and practice on.

Does such a thing happen to exist do you know?

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
Is the pitch of the printed socket ok? Maybe just the photo but the pins seem to be slightly wider space than the folder contact socket.
Old 15th Feb 2024, 6:35 pm   #15
ScottishColin
Octode

Alternatively are there set standards for socket sizes? Thereuat be bit I can't find them

Colin.
Old 15th Feb 2024, 10:18 pm   #16
Mark1960
Octode

You could try protoboards, most common type is 2.54mm pitch with 1mm diameter holes. The hole diameter might be a bit too forgiving of alignment to pins of the socket. You can also get 1.27mm pitch with 0.6mm holes and these are a very close fit to turned pin sockets, so would be a better test of the printed sockets.
Old 16th Feb 2024, 11:09 am   #17
ScottishColin
Octode

Thanks - bought a couple to experiment with.

There must be a standards document for the dimensions somewhere otherwise we wouldn't see everyone making them to the same dimensions.

I'll keep hunting.

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
You could try protoboards, most common type is 2.54mm pitch with 1mm diameter holes. The hole diameter might be a bit too forgiving of alignment to pins of the socket. You can also get 1.27mm pitch with 0.6mm holes and these are a very close fit to turned pin sockets, so would be a better test of the printed sockets.
Old 16th Feb 2024, 11:37 am   #18
ScottishColin
Octode

I have found and downloaded JEDEC standard MS011-B which I think gives me what I need.

Colin.
Old 16th Feb 2024, 12:48 pm   #19
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The common 2.54mm pin spacing on IC sockets was more commonly known at one time as 0.1" (0.1 inch) and 2.54mm is likely to be the closest 'decimalised' version of that dimension without resorting to an absurd number of decimal places - so it could be argued that it would be better to use the original imperial pin spacing of exactly 0.1" if your design software will let you do that, since the 2.54mm value is an approximation to not many decimal places.

A fraction of one-hundredth of a mm is quite a small 'error' but when multiplied by the number of inter-pin gaps down one whole side of an IC socket, the distance between the two outer end receptacles could end up slightly smaller or greater than expected.
Old 16th Feb 2024, 2:42 pm   #20
m0cemdave
Octode

2.54mm is exactly 0.1 inches, (by definition, 1" = 25.4mm)
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote